Watch Your Step

Started by adit, March 14, 2007, 04:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adit

[attach=#]

Clicks it!

This is a work in progress. The theme is inspired by the ashundar monthly featured image contest for march "A Long Drop Down"

Now, for some reason I don't think it's done. It needs some more post work, but I can't really decide what to do.

What do you guys think?

old_blaggard

That's a pretty intimidating terrain :).  I would decrease the sun stength a little so that we can see the terrain better.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

child@play

hey!

nice image, really, but i think the shadows to the left look kinda 'wrong'...
changing the sun's strength or adding a second sun with low strength could probably help giving the terrain more 'depth'
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

fmtoffolo

Wow, its very impressive, and it really gives a feeling of something monumental in size
My Terragenn site
www.cgworlds.com.ar

Oshyan

There's some odd coloration on the foreground terrain - post processing, or just odd lighting calculations, I can't tell. Other than that I honestly think it's stunning! A really nice image, extremely dramatic, a nice ethereal quality. Yes it's a bit bright, perhaps even "blown out", but I think that contributes to the epic, magical quality in this case, especially with the rays.

- Oshyan

adit

[attach=#]

I went ahead and toned down the sun a little and got rid of some of the silly postwork. (The odd coloration that Oshyan was talking about).

Posted it on deviantart here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50869458/

I think I'm happy with it now, so I changed the thread title.

child@play

very nice! the clouds come out much better now, and the terrain looks more 'solid'.

i love it

cheers...
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

sonshine777

Second Image definitely much better enough so that you notice the castle on that middle point (if it's not a castle it sure looks like one) Great Render! :)

rcallicotte

Wow!  You're second image here is much better.    :o

Are those clouds in the far distant sky?  Also, I'd like to see more light hitting something in the foreground just a touch like that rock on the left.  But, I'm not making this one.  Good job.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

adit

Yes, that is a castle. I wanted to make it subtle enough to add to that mystical quality. Thanks all.

rcallicotte

I didn't see the castle (on the right) - cool!  No, what I meant was the lighting on the foreground rocks at the front.  I think this is very cool and think a bit more somehow at the foreground would be great. 

I wonder if there is some way to make the castle stand out against the terrain by using a different or more contrasty texture?  I know we can change the contrast in the Default Shader, but I'm not sure how much this would help.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dark Fire

That picture is very good. I particularly like the style and distribution of the clouds beneath the camera level...

Mr_Lamppost

Cool image :)

I didn't see the castle first time

Do you have an upper cirrus cloud layer or is there a lighting artefact showing up in the sky? (Banding top left)?
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Arandil

There's something about the clouds that seems just a bit off but I can't put my finger on it.  Something about the lighting/shading.  Should they be darker?  Hmmm, maybe it's the subjective impression of distance that gets me.

That's just a weedly nitpick though, great image!

Dark Fire

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on March 16, 2007, 09:50:45 PM
Cool image :)

I didn’t see the castle first time

Do you have an upper cirrus cloud layer or is there a lighting artefact showing up in the sky? (Banding top left)?

I can see the banding too. It looks like there is a huge light-blue cloud up there...