Stormy ocean on Youtube (Page 2)

Started by Hannes, August 13, 2010, 05:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

This is a still of an animation I am rendering right now. It took a lot of time to get the movement of the different PFs look right. It's actually a terrain with a water shader and some animated PFs and cloud fractals for the foam. It's displaced by some other animated PFs (modified versions of the foam-PFs).
I wish I could place some spray on top of the crests but my attempts to use a cloud layer didn't look good. Any chance of conforming clouds out of the box, Planetside staff? ;)
This one took only 32 minutes to render. Not too bad, but it will take a lot of time to render the whole sequence (about 800 frames). I'll keep you informed.

Tangled-Universe

Looking good so far, but probably it's best to judge when we see a couple of frames :)
So 48 frames/day ;) Perhaps you can show some tomorrow or sunday? ;D

domdib

Looks very good - looking forward to the animation.

inkydigit

looking real good Hannes, feeling seasick already!
:)

RArcher

The wave shapes are looking great!

jbest

Yes, this will be interesting!
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

airflamesred

Henry Blewer

I thought you had done a marvelous job with the sailing ship for the contest. This looks better.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Walli

very nices waves, hopefully you can show an animated version of that.

Oshyan

Quote from: Hannes on August 13, 2010, 05:41:03 AM
I wish I could place some spray on top of the crests but my attempts to use a cloud layer didn't look good. Any chance of conforming clouds out of the box, Planetside staff? ;)

This is looking good so far. Keep an eye out for 2.2...

- Oshyan

reck

Quote from: Oshyan on August 14, 2010, 02:55:47 AM
Quote from: Hannes on August 13, 2010, 05:41:03 AM

This is looking good so far. Keep an eye out for 2.2...

- Oshyan

Hannes should be one of the beta testers.

Hannes

Thank you all!!
Oshyan: WHEN?? WHEN?? WHEN?????

Well, while I am keeping an eye out for 2.2, here is an early test animation. The video quality is incredibly bad, but you might get an idea of the motion.
I stopped the rendering and continued improving the whole thing. Still trying some things:
http://vimeo.com/14138195

ra

Absolutely cool animation! Also your other animations are fantastic too!  :o
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

Oshyan

Sorry, no release date yet Hannes.

- Oshyan

Hannes

Here is another new render. I reworked the foam and used two simple surface shaders, one rather dark and another one more blueish with an additional reflective shader, merged the surface shaders with a merge shader with one of the displacement PFs as function to replace the water shader, which reduces rendertimes dramatically.
Right now I am rendering frame 93, so it's going to take some time to finish it. When it's done, I'll put it on youtube, because the quality on vimeo is really bad. Every detail gets lost.