Niaux-WIP

Started by Marcos Silveira, October 15, 2010, 07:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos Silveira

It's a work in progress. I'll try to add variation in the grass and try to eliminate the sloped grass, will add some clouds too and other types of vegetation.
[attachthumb=#]

Mahnmut

Very promising start, I am curious where this will end!

Maybe you could try to limit the grass not only by slope but also by height, because your rock has all those little terraces, which will get populated if only slope is limited. On the other hand, that could be nice with some other plants perhaps.

Best Regards,
Jan

inkydigit

this is looking real good!
what is in the cave?
very cool terrain work!

Henry Blewer

It does look quite promising. I like the cave!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Indeed, that cave is intriguing. Why not angle a bit towards it, so you can look a little bit more into it, perhaps in a wider vista (2:1)

Marcos Silveira

With a medium tree some random tall grass and bushes...
[attachthumb=#]

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: Dune on October 16, 2010, 02:44:05 AM
Indeed, that cave is intriguing. Why not angle a bit towards it, so you can look a little bit more into it, perhaps in a wider vista (2:1)

I'm afraid because caves tend to be used by fearsome animals and I didn't brought any gun!!! Maybe I should head back to the camping to take up my Magnum. ;)

Dune

Did you use a painted shader to get the cave?

Mahnmut

Nice tree and vegetation!
But in my perception it shrinks the whole scene.
When in the first version I would have estimated the cave at about 8 meters high, with the tree it becomes about half that size (in my eyes).
Anyway, I like where this is going!
Best regards, Jan

Marcos Silveira

Actually the cave is that big and the tree, which is only 13m tall, is in the midground. There seems to have some kind of hole or depression between the ground where the tree is and the plane of the cave. If you pay enough attention You can notice an abrupt end in the ground after the tree, so the cave is way far than we can tell at glance. The cave was not created by some painted or image map shader I just found it there!!! :D To illustrate the size of the cave I'll render the tree near its entrance.

Here is the tree (13m) near the cave entrance. So yes, the cave is that big!!!
But I also felt that the sense of scale was compromised.
[attachimg=#]

Marcos Silveira

Another angle:
[attachthumb=#]

Kadri

With a little touch you could use the last images too , Ro-nin ! Nice WIP  :)

Mahnmut

Ok, now I see it, once you have seen the gap it´s obvious.
I think a little vegetation on the other side of it could make it perfectly clear.
With that sense of scale being switched on the image is really great, although I liked it before.  :D

best Regards, Jan

inkydigit

I am still intruigued by this luck cave....looking good so far..

MacGyver

This looks great, are you still on it? :)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine