Fake Stone Shaders; *V1 finished on page 3*

Started by Tangled-Universe, October 25, 2010, 12:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Ah ha! Well done with that! Hmm, I suppose making the noise a colour function of a following shader would allow that to then be warped. Anyway, good job! :)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: dandelO on October 28, 2010, 05:40:19 PM
Ah ha! Well done with that! Hmm, I suppose making the noise a colour function of a following shader would allow that to then be warped. Anyway, good job! :)

Yes almost exactly like that. I create the voronoi noise, warp it and then convert that function to a colour function using a distribution shader. That's it :)

Tangled-Universe

Here's a crop from a 4000x3000 render:

Tangled-Universe

And another one from a 8000x6000 render :)

Tangled-Universe

The bump and detailing is ready, now I only need to fix the main displacing fractal scale and amplitude in such a way that I do not get oddly displaced stones or blown up stones.

I'm further planning to work on:

lava rocks
granite
sandstone

domdib

That's a mighty fine bump function you have going there!

inkydigit

nice details, are the rocks or stones real world scales?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: inkydigit on October 29, 2010, 10:47:48 AM
nice details, are the rocks or stones real world scales?

If you mean that they have meaningful scales/sizes...yes. The stones are approx. 2m.

Oshyan

That lichen is looking really fantastic, along with the bumps. Nice work!

- Oshyan

Seth

Tangled-Universe

Ok, done with this one :)

See full resolution image here:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/307/4/8/fake_stones_shader_v1_final_by_tangled_universe-d323md9.jpg

Now let's proceed to V2 ;D

Cheers,
Martin

Walli

inkydigit

quality stuff Martin....cheers for the scale info!

dandelO

Very nice! I love what you've done with the blotchy voronoi in the shadows now, now those parts look awesome too! Did you replace that with a Perlin or is it still voronoi but warped like you said you were doing? Shame about the displacement stretching/cutoff on a couple of the little stones but that's a TG problem, not yours. The full sized version is fantastic! :)

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys :) I'm glad you like it!
I have gathered some reference for sandstone boulders/rocks, so tonight I will start with those.

@Dandel0: Thanks Martin! I did not replace the voronoi and I finally also decided not to warp them because it would get too complicated and it didn't look that well either. I added a bit of billow fractal to the current ridged fractal.

You are right about the cutoff and "exploded" parts. In general you can prevent this a little by working with displacement offsets and by keeping displacement relatively mild. I've tried to be fair here, because I could also have chosen to either postwork it or to search for a POV without any of these artefacts.
One of the reasons this happens, I think, is that not every fake stone has the same base shape and size. Some stones already look a bit "sunk" from the beginning (without any texturing/displacements I mean here). I think these stones are relatively more "blown up" by the displacements I'm adding and therefore could explode or have these weird effects. Some stones look a bit facetted because of this. There's no way I can prevent this completely, but I did the best I can I think/hope :)

Cheers,
Martin