Bavarian Sky (was: WIP Alarm Part 2)

Started by FrankB, October 29, 2010, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi guys,

are you interested in helping me develop this scene further?

The sky is pretty much final. I have a rough vision of a fisher house as a lake (the house model in the foreground is from Walli). I think in the midground, I'd like to see further houses, framed with trees and bushes, roughly like you can see them now.

The current midground elements are just placeholders, so feel free to make suggestions there.
I am completely undecided as to what should go into the foreground. Any other ideas?

Cheers
Frank

cyphyr

Why Alarm?
I like how the scene is developing so far. To my mind a shore line with a fishing house on it is far less distinct, hance the need for the house to be on stilts. I'd populate the foreground with reed beds, marsh plants, waterfowel, maybe a lazy fisherman?
Keep at it.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

RArcher

This is looking like it is going to be an epic scene Frank.  Do a google image search for "African Fishing Boats" for an idea of what I would add to the fore/midground areas.  A few upside down or pulled far onshore canoes or banged up rowboats would fit the mood pretty good.  Also possible is really dirtying up the beach a lot.  Perhaps driftwood, piles of shells, seaweed etc.

Unless of course you are going for more of a lake scene and not a coastal beach in which case ignore those suggestions!!

Henry Blewer

Too me this has an North East Coast USA feel. New Hampshire perhaps. Some whale boats (rowboats) and lobster traps would be just the ticket.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

epic !
the clouds' lighting is fantastic ^^

Zairyn Arsyn

those clouds look great!
interesting cloud shapes

Quote from: njeneb on October 29, 2010, 01:52:19 PM
Too me this has an North East Coast USA feel. New Hampshire perhaps. Some whale boats (rowboats) and lobster traps would be just the ticket.
i agree, i'm getting that same feel.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

domdib

Ryan's suggestions sound good - agree about the clouds.

Dune

Very nice start, but there's a strange dark halo around the fisherman's cabin... PS? I would make the foreground not too disturbing with large features, but keep it subtle with one or two sizable features. Like a tidal area with some muddy creeks and according vegetation, perhaps a (few) dead and bleached trees or trunks. Some large boulders or an area of pebble. Looking forward to the next iteration!

choronr

Just a brief suggestion: I would set the horizontal FOV to 50 to straighten up the house. I want to look and imagine some more for ideas; but, its getting late. I'll be back tomorrow.

Tangled-Universe

Great work so far Frank :) The lighting on the clouds is really nice. I guess you will render the final with higher settings to make them very detailed and noise-free.
I have to think about what this scene might need to really improve. For starters you might want to add elements to break up the sudden appearance of the trees in the distance, maybe by adding some bushes, but I'm not completely sure on what to really do. Maybe you could also add some stones to the left part of the beach while retaining the sand on the right part of the image. If I have any more/better ideas I'll let you know.

Quote from: choronr on October 30, 2010, 02:34:28 AM
Just a brief suggestion: I would set the horizontal FOV to 50 to straighten up the house. I want to look and imagine some more for ideas; but, its getting late. I'll be back tomorrow.

That's a really good suggestion! Not sure about the FOV value since I don't know the current, but I'd definitely consider doing this Frank.

FrankB

Hey, thank you all - a couple of great suggestions here!

The scene was inspired by my short visit to the Chiemsee in Bavaria just recently. There ain't no fisherhouses like this, but I don't care. This one looks quite good there, I just have to continue to model the scene further and make it look well integrated.

I agree that keeping the foreground rather flat and spiced with smaller features, maybe one sizeable feature or object to make it interesting. I like the thought of having a far view into the scene.

Definitely, TU, the tree line is a placeholder for something better, but your suggestion is very good anyway, to start the vegetation from camera to the tree line with some bushwork.

I also like the suggestion to keep a beach like shore in the foreground, and pile up rocks'n rubble further away. Some boats are a must, too.

At one point over the weekend I'll give it another shot. I will keep rendering the coming test renders at this quality I think, but definitely up quality for the final render.

Oh and lastly: yes this is postprocessed. I just can't get the same lighting rendered out otherwise. The aura around the house is a consequence of that, but I may be able to prevent this for the final version.

So long,
Frank

choronr

Now that I am up this morning with a fresh mind I looked at the scene again and thought that the fisherhouse would look better if it were moved to the left somewhat to improve the balance of the scene since it is the center of attraction. Its position would be about 1/3 the way from the right to the left making the decision of where to place other elements easier ...I think.

FrankB

could be right, Bob... I'll have a play with that thought.

FrankB

part 2 my friends

FrankB

anyone know some decent boat models? Kajaks maybe?