In the Forest - Final

Started by Gannaingh, January 24, 2011, 11:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gannaingh

I recently bought the new NWDA fir trees so I felt compelled to make something  ;D Since I live in the green ol' pacific northwest I felt I could finally create the wooded scenes I seen every day. For a first try I'm pretty content with how it turned out, they only things I can think of to improve are the darkness deeper in the forest (possibly gonna use EXR adjustments to do it) and adding more to the atmosphere of the forest.

[attachthumb=#]

FrankB

It's looking good apart from the darkness. It's great to see so much detail in the textures and geometry, but you definitely need to pump up exposure for this scene.... in addition to rendering out exr.

cheers,
Frank

Volker Harun

Agree with Frank and would like to double your idea to add some atmosphere (lightest fog) to the forest to brighten it up, too.

Gannaingh

Fog is definitely planned for the next version, I was thinking of doing something similar to RArcher's Golden Forest scene except far less dense. I've already managed to lighten up the image some by messing with the global illumination, but rendering in EXR will still help a lot.

I suppose I should take this opportunity to throw in a little plug for NWDA, with the exception of Klas' ferns all the objects in this scene are made by Walli. Seriously, these models (ans some suggestion from Frank) make my job very, very easy :D thanks for the great work!

Walli

I think thats a very good start and if you increase the exposure and then do some exr postword color correction, then you should get something veeeery sweet!

I am looking forward to the next version!

inkydigit

agree with all, looks great, will be even better next time....I am looking forward to this also!
:)

Gannaingh

Here's the second version that was output as an EXR where I then adjusted the highlights and shadows. It seems very drab to me, the colors just don't pop...probably due to something I did in the editing process. I tried to rework the trees to let more light into the scene but I don't really like the result. Overall, I'd say that I like the first version better.

[attachthumb=#]

choronr

I like the foreground adding to the depth of the scene; and, overall composition.

Jack

is it me or is there something not quite right about those trees? the needle texturing seems very flat and the needles seem way to big for the scale of the tree
the texturing on the trunks is superb :)
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Gannaingh

A bit of an update to say the least. I've tweaked and changed literally everything except the dirt since the last version. I like the portrait style of this one, it seems to better complement the tall-ness of the trees. I'm going to tone down/sharpen up the displacement on the bark in the near foreground as well as lower the saturation of the small branches a bit.

[attachthumb=#]

Henry Blewer

I agree about the vertical image fitting the trees better. I would not change much here.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Icegrip

Very Nice!! I like the last one the most!

FrankB

Yes this one is really good. I think have brightened up the needles more than necessary though. Apart from that, cool :-)

Gooner

Super images. I think the last one is best as well but they are all good.  ;)

Zairyn Arsyn

wonderful. pristine.
looks great
the displacements on the firs look nice, and i like all the ferns as ground cover.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/