Medieval Windmill

Started by Dune, February 06, 2011, 03:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I found some intriguing old watercolors on the internet depicting ancient wooden windmills, so I decided to model one. Might come in handy. Still struggling, but I managed to pull this object out. Rest is XFrog and TG2 of course. The road is a simple painted shader road.
A WIP, as the foreground is way too 'clean', IMO.

cyphyr

I agree about the foreground, way too clean, probably needs "ruts" as well.
The lighting is lovely, dawn but still chilly!
Great windmill model.
looking forward to seeing this progress :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

Very nice work here. The 'whole' image pulls itself together well, but the foreground needs some work. My imagination of how windmills look comes from postcards. These were/have been painted with bright colors. The bare wood really fits here quite well though.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

choronr

This one brings much of reality together ...inspirational work.

FrankB

lovely scene, all well done so far.

If I may, I'd like to add that somehow the fog isn't looking as convincing as it probably could. Can't exacty put my finger on it, but especially the fog on the left side isn't quite right. The reason escapes me though.

Regards,
Frank

Dune

I didn't like the fog either. I quickly threw it in, but dropped it again. Here's an update, with freshly made fence.

FrankB

Wow, this is a keeper.
Lighting wise, it's photo realistic if you ask me. The vegetation is also very good, as is the sky. If you had possessed more detailed objects for the long houses and the fence texture, I reckon it be hard to tell from a photo.
Besides all this, it's also a very pleasant scene!
Congrats!
Frank

Naoo

Hi

Excellent done
and I agree with FrankB.

ciao
Naoo

choronr

Realism rules here; what a fantastic picture. You've got to be very satisfied with this one!

Redwolf

this looks good pov wise IMHO, but try and replace those trees, the branches dont hold realistic leaves, they look like bats

dandelO

Fantastic! The grasses are especially convincing, Ulco.

I prefer it without the fog, too. It feel it had a kind of optimized look at the left hand side, did you use stepping or some acc' cache on the layer? I dunno, something just looked a little off.
This one is really great, though. I love it.

Dune

Thanks. The mist was a miss, didn't put enough effort into it, and I prefer this one as well. But I think Redwolf is right about the (XFrog) tree. I might try another one. And I should redo the texturing and smoothing on the fence. The grass is a mixture of three, among which the 'indiginous grass clump' (see the left side). I think I'll make some dead grass to intersperse with this, and add some pop variation. It is looking too healthy.

Dune

Updated with different trees, some dead grass, smoothed fence and some remaining paint on the windmill.

Naoo

Hi Dune

Oh yeah, grass an trees are much better now,
but the blue color on the mill -- hm :-/

ciao
Naoo

cyphyr

Very much better, now it really is getting "photo real"
good work
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)