My Procedural Road, *Final* pg. 8

Started by FrankB, March 08, 2011, 06:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Thanks Ulco, but the models on this site are all lwo format.
I've tried one with the lwo loader but it loads as a black geometry without textures.

inkydigit

nice road Frank, the road painter was obviously day dreaming/drunk!!!
@ Ulco...I have used quite a few models from DMI...some beauties there (with a few tweaks anyway!!)
:)

inkydigit

Quote from: FrankB on March 10, 2011, 10:41:09 AM
Thanks Ulco, but the models on this site are all lwo format.
I've tried one with the lwo loader but it loads as a black geometry without textures.
just load the LWO into blender and export as a obj??
you may have to do some subsurfing etc though?

FrankB

I get pimples when I even think about blender.
Any chance a gracious soul can properly convert a few of those beauties and send them over to me?

Cheers,
Frank

Seth

dandelO

Great looking tarmac now, I agree. I had a peek at your .tgd after all, Frank. Very simple looking setup, that I'd never even have dreamed of making one like. I always seem to go the long way round(the back-roads. ;))! I'll stick at it though, practice makes perfect. ;)

Poseray will also convert any of the DMI models and let you set materials and shaders before you export, there are some great models there.
The Google 3D warehouse has many cool car models too, just remember, as many of them are quite low poly, to weld the vertices in Poseray before you do a subdivision on them, else they'll end up full of holes when you subdivide them.

FrankB

thanks Martin. The tgd I posted is not all my setup consist of. Actually I deleted at least 80% of the nodes before posting this. What's left is the bare minimum to create a procedural line with a user configurable width, and one of many ways to makes it curvy.
So there is probably not much to learn for you in this anyway. But I agree it's  always interesting to see which routes other people take.

And thanks for the poseray tip.

Cheers,
Frank

dandelO

Yes, I gathered that you only had included the basis of the road, just, it's a completely different method than I would take myself(because I'm dim witted and have a hard enough time getting my head around the scalar nodes, nevermind all these vectors that everyone keeps banging on about! ;)) but, yes, it seems you're doing it a completely different way.
What would be nice is a self-enclosed road node, with shading already done, that could be dropped into a scene(you know how I like to keep things packed away inside a simple surface shader, or such) then that could be warped by any other shader that would take effect over the entire surface.

So many options and methods to think about. I'm about to take another TG break for a while, got other things needing attention at the moment but it's been a good few weeks of rediscovery again over here, keep it up!

inkydigit

Quote from: FrankB on March 10, 2011, 10:52:22 AM
Any chance a gracious soul can properly convert a few of those beauties and send them over to me?

Cheers,
Frank

which ones do you like?
I can have look for you

FrankB

Quote from: inkydigit on March 10, 2011, 11:29:56 AM
Quote from: FrankB on March 10, 2011, 10:52:22 AM

Cheers,
Frank

which ones do you like?
I can have look for you

Oh thank you Jason! I don't mind which, just some normal cars - you can choose for me. If you happen to have some already, I'm glad to take these.

Cheers,
Frank

inkydigit

no worries Frank, I will have a dig around my hd...

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

Maybe you should adjust your scene to fit the cars?!?! :) :D ;D

FrankB

Quote from: Volker Harun on March 10, 2011, 02:49:39 PM

you mean make the scene look crappy?  ;)

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on March 10, 2011, 02:51:35 PM
Quote from: Volker Harun on March 10, 2011, 02:49:39 PM

you mean make the scene look crappy?  ;)
I think Volker means like the roads of the 60s?