My Procedural Road, *Final* pg. 8

Started by FrankB, March 08, 2011, 06:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

Quote from: choronr on March 10, 2011, 02:57:35 PM
Quote from: FrankB on March 10, 2011, 02:51:35 PM
Quote from: Volker Harun on March 10, 2011, 02:49:39 PM
Maybe you should adjust your scene to fit the cars?!?! :) :D ;D

you mean make the scene look crappy?  ;)
I think Volker means like the roads of the 60s?

Nope ,-) I want it with plain colours, no variations ... plastic trees and clouds made of sugar!

FrankB

Quote from: Volker Harun on March 10, 2011, 03:08:19 PM
Quote from: choronr on March 10, 2011, 02:57:35 PM
Quote from: FrankB on March 10, 2011, 02:51:35 PM
Quote from: Volker Harun on March 10, 2011, 02:49:39 PM
Maybe you should adjust your scene to fit the cars?!?! :) :D ;D

you mean make the scene look crappy?  ;)
I think Volker means like the roads of the 60s?

Nope ,-) I want it with plain colours, no variations ... plastic trees and clouds made of sugar!

Volker... you need sleep. Trust me, I recognize the symptoms ;)

choronr

Something like this perhaps...

FrankB

yeah, this is good. I'll make something like this. I've already got those horizontal cracks, but I need the tarmac to be "worn" more.

choronr

A bit better; but, AZ brags about their good roads - couldn't find a bad one Frank.

dandelO

Are we in the Bryce forum, Volker?

* Nice shot, Bob. Something like I was going for before, except, I lacked the coolness of this one! ;) The road tarnishing/repairs would be quite a hard job to look convincing(Gregsandor did some cool work on something like it, I think it was image mapped, though), and it looks like I needed more orange in my surfacing, mine was too yellow, huh?

Go for it, Frank! Who needs curvy roads?

FrankB

Hehe, indeed, who needs curves? ... well, at least on roads :D

I just realized that this is the 9th longest thread in the image sharing forum. Woah. Never thought it get that popular. So I shall not disappoint you all and finish this with a proper high quality render. Stay with me :)

choronr

Me too; I've been rendering a long one (too embarrassed to tell you how long) - when finished, I will start and try my bit on a scenic road .

Dune

QuoteSo I shall not disappoint you all and finish this with a proper high quality render
I thought you'd finish this off with a nice tgd...

I thought Jon's parallel warp setup is very interesting, as it doesn't widen/narrow the road when warped. It would only need some softening for the verges and some way to (easily) make the lines, which is not too hard in another setup, but in Jon's file I'm at a loss.
Not meaning to hijack your thread, Frank, just one line of words; I tried to also divide Jon's line into sinus parts (for railroad sleepers), but couldn't get them before the warp, so they are still X (or Z) oriented. Would this be possible, Jon? 

By the way, here's a hairpin road, just for the fun of it, as it's very bad! But the smoothing has an interesting, but not definitive effect.

Hetzen

It should be possible Ulco. The method posted earlier in the thread was really a response to DandelO, tbh I've not looked at how you've been generating your railroad (I did see your thread and images and think you've found a very convincing way).

As for your railway sleepers, I didn't realise you were using a sin function. Rather than warp the sin output, can you not displace it or move it laterally with the perlin noise directly? You could even just mask a continuos sleeper pattern that runs north-south by the road mask. I would doubt you'd be able to bend the direction the sleaper's facing this way, (they would always run east-west). Maybe you use your previous method, and just mask it?

Btw, Volker and I have found a new way of generating level roads, which samples several altitudes before and after the generation point, and smooths out the road along it's length, that also keeps a consistant level along it's width. Unfortunately both him and I are tied up with work commitments over the next few days to put much more time into this new method.

Volker Harun

Quote from: Hetzen on March 11, 2011, 03:17:52 AM
Btw, Volker and I have found a new way of generating level roads, which samples several altitudes before and after the generation point, and smooths out the road along it's length, that also keeps a consistant level along it's width. Unfortunately both him and I are tied up with work commitments over the next few days to put much more time into this new method.
Funny guy ;D Jon is sending me new TGDs every 30 minutes and I do not get the hang on it :) Jon and me are trying different approaches and share our results. I assume that the finished network will be stunning (at least to look at) ;D
But he is right, both of us have our real-life business to run. I'll be on a business trip until Monday. Have fun and share your efforts!!!

Volker

Dune

Sounds good. I'll have another go. Have a good trip and hopefully post some more math!

Henry Blewer

Ulco, your road looks like the Great Wall of China. That might be a cool project also. All this is far beyond my skill...
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

Great Wall of China, indeed, Henry! Great idea, get to it, someone! :)

FrankB

Sooooo....

this is a WIP of the final scene. I'm quite satisfied except a few things that will come with the next iterations:
- the road shouldn't visible end
- vegetation needs to extend further away
- road/rubble line needs to be a tad sharper.
- the darker bushes will be brightened up a bit

Cheers,
Frank