127 hours

Started by Tangled-Universe, March 19, 2011, 06:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

I understand, but yet, they look like sh*t and still get to the still images thread.

Tangled-Universe

Next little chapter on this...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=968692

Seems you only need a kite and use 3d max + vray as only two differences to get your work accepted ;)

Seth

Oshyan

Hah, wow. That's a pretty clear indication there T-U. *sigh*

- Oshyan

Jack

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on March 31, 2011, 04:42:01 PM
Next little chapter on this...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=968692

Seems you only need a kite and use 3d max + vray as only two differences to get your work accepted ;)

Why do you even bother with that site its bloody awful!
create a sightly different pov and say it was done in max with vray and mudbox and see what happens:)
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

max_thehitman

SUPERB is the word!
Great job!

Jo Kariboo

Excellent!!! I am very impressed by this image.

FlyLaika

TheBadger

Tail between my legs.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Also,
I find it funny that the incestuous nature of the art world extends to the digital world and 3d work. The fact that your work and the work of others in terregen can't find a home on other sites and forums is normal. Just look at the world of photography and painting, how many brilliant artists are there in the world that we will never know the names of?. It simply does not matter if your work is good, and God help you if your a genius (you will surly starve to death), If you don't think like they do, your not worth thinking about. So, If you want to be recognized for your hard work and achievements, stop thinking for your self (real diversity is despised in the arts), and start thinking like they do... In this case, a sexy fem-bot.

lol... Anyway, keep making your art guys, I like it, and who knows maybe one day soon everyone else will see what you are doing too. The mob is fickle.
It has been eaten.

Draigr

Oh come on. All this hate for CGS? As has been commented. They look for different things in their art. Focal points, stories, something that stands out. A lot of landscape photography and renders, for all their technical impressiveness tend to lack these same qualities. No aspersions on the amazing stuff I see every day in this very forum. Include humans, animals, or something else in your renders, make them do something interesting, and all of a sudden, you'll notice more interest.

If you want to submit renders plainly, then I suggest you look to submit into a similar field. A photography or terrain rendering forum.

Additionally, Terragen renders could be used in conjunction with photoshop for some impressive Matte paintings, no?

Before you get annoyed, think about where you're submitting, and what they're going to notice. I've seen some awe inspiring terrains somewhere round the place, they get through, but they sort of have to floor you at first glance.

Of course. Nobody will complain if you include airships... You know. The Steampunk ones.

Tangled-Universe

TheBadger is right on what they're looking after: fem-bots, monsters, vehicles etc. Similar to the thought that a mainstream action flick should contain bikini-ladies, helicopters and explosions. All there? Then it's good, otherwise not.
This short-sighted single minded attitude is very strong there.
Regardless of that in some cases other work shows up which has nothing special and is purely technical. A good TG2 render can be considered as such.

Draigr, yes, adding a steampunk ship would perfectly fit their childish attitude towards art.
CGSociety is a self-named/called biggest society for (semi-)professional people. It's not strange to expect a more grown-up attitude toward art then.

And yes, you're right in your second last line. After many attempts of our community we basically concluded that they're "not into our work".
I won't try it anymore. Maybe never again, but certainly not quickly.

Henry Blewer

I would rather have a sexy fem-bot clean for me than appear in my art. I have been thinking about adding some airships, but not steampunk ones. Something more realistic or even Tom Swift like.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Draigr

A fair point, CGS is very much mainstream VFX artists and whatnot, so there's a lot of homogenising. And they don't like Terragen renders. And can be an arrogant bunch sometimes. But they're not all bad, and keep in mind. A terrain render in Terragen takes almost no time to set up when compared to a similar render with 3DS Max or associated 3D package. In one, the program does a lot of the work for you, in another, you have to do all the work.

Different audience different purpose.

Also. You got an update, you certainly humble me with all your shots...

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Draigr on July 13, 2011, 10:17:50 AM
A fair point, CGS is very much mainstream VFX artists and whatnot, so there's a lot of homogenising. And they don't like Terragen renders. And can be an arrogant bunch sometimes. But they're not all bad, and keep in mind. A terrain render in Terragen takes almost no time to set up when compared to a similar render with 3DS Max or associated 3D package. In one, the program does a lot of the work for you, in another, you have to do all the work.

Different audience different purpose.

Also. You got an update, you certainly humble me with all your shots...

Yes I agree it is homogenising and definitely agree they don't like Terragen renders and you hit the nail why: Terragen takes no time to set up compared to a similar render with 3DS Max. And in their eyes thus not as good as .... (name your "real" 3D app).

First of all, that's totally not true and especially 100% not true for quality work. Mediocre stuff, yes, but complex realistic absolutely not.
Secondly, what if it was true. So what? That's the other thing you mentioned: they are often arrogant. Certainly not all of them, I agree. But imo very rusted into their ways of doing/looking at stuff.
What if it indeed is 10x easier, 5x faster (I wish it was lol). If it gets the job done, it gets the job done.

There's a similar thread going there about why to care with Renderman which has 10% design/90% problem-solving ratio. It's the new-comers versus senior artists who can't let their old-fashioned rusty ideas/techniques go.
And you know what these guys say? "If it gets the job done, it gets the job done". Hey that sounds familiar! ;)

That's basically how I look at it.