So much to do !

Started by Kadri, April 14, 2011, 07:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Guys i was going to reply to all of you with the settings , but this is much easier for me  ;)

[attachurl=#]

For the new TG2 users : You will get some warnings because of the absent image maps.
                                   They are to big to put here. You have to use your own maps after you open the TGD file.
                                   The 3 maps i used were 10 000 x 10 000 .
                                    Edit:Look at my other posts below.

Some settings can be (not sure) a little different from the one i posted here.
I said 1h render time before but this was with 3 cores.
So please change this or the other settings for your liking.

DandelO please make a really big render , if it was not the free version i surely would made one :D
I think clouds are not so good for big or near renders (when used like here) . But i would love to be wrong about this!
Dune i will try your method too  ;)

j meyer

Well,there were some experiments with geometrically shaped clouds done by
Mr.Lamppost and others and a thread where we played with clouds from colored
clouds to abstract structures and even a knot that was done with the help of
a depth grab.Maybe it was one of these.
Let me know if you'd like me to look for them.

Kadri

Quote from: j meyer on April 15, 2011, 12:18:02 PM
Well,there were some experiments with geometrically shaped clouds done by
Mr.Lamppost and others and a thread where we played with clouds from colored
clouds to abstract structures and even a knot that was done with the help of
a depth grab.Maybe it was one of these.
Let me know if you'd like me to look for them.

I think that was it J meyer . It would be nice to read and see all of them now , if you can find it .
I didn't understand then most of the written things...Well...it may have not changed much :D

Kadri

Here is the upper image layer map that i used , if someone want to make a closer looking image .

[attachthumb=#]

It is 15 % of the original size and has very much jpg compression ( 30% in XnView) .
The other 2 maps were different especially in the black section (the transparent section in the hard cloud layer).

Kadri

Quote from: j meyer on April 15, 2011, 01:03:40 PM
The geometrical shapes are in this thread:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3227.0
the other stuff is in this one:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2648.0

You crazy guy-s  :)
I couldn't say anything at the time . I was too forum shy !
But now...You and the others there did many crazy things !
Those links should maybe sticky ones.
There are many interesting images but this one was the one i remembered when i said ornament :
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2648.msg44036#msg44036
It was yours! I think you knew it when i said ornament , j meyer  ;)

Many ,Thanks!

FrankB

Kadri, hats off, you surprised me with this one. Out of the box, ingenious thinking here!

Kadri

:)

I tried to go much closer with a bigger image map. 20 000 x 20 000 (grayscale of course) this time.
just for fun  :) There is no need for such big maps for all projects of course.

[attachimg=#]

It holds better as i thought .
An image just for the right usage size without aliased edges (depends on your needs of course ) would be better .
This is the same map. Only a little sharpened , contrast etc. adjusted and then up sized.

I tried it on the planet object with the same map . Didn't liked the displacements .
Dune did you tried closer renders on the sphere object?

It would be good to had textures on this fake structures when you get so close to them.
But as much as i tried i couldn't get real textures on the clouds.
It could be useful for normal cloud usage too i think.

With different textures , mask and clouds you could make kind of fake (!) colored looking clouds but obviously this is not the same.
I searched here but couldn't find anything directly about this .
Do you know anything about this ? Is this possible at all possible ?

I used a RGB method. Red , Green and Blue clouds for this.
But as i said this has it limitations and is not what i am after.
You can see some test renders here below.
Don't want to make this a family kind of blog post but this is my son and me (a little awkward because it is a self shot). Hello :)

I hope there is another way for this.
In fact it would be nice to made ground (planet) objects , cloud objects and others behave the same way maybe.

Dune

That's some very interesting experimentation, Kadri. I don't think I'll use it in any of my line of renders, but it's pushing the boundaries once again.
And to answer your question; I just quickly grabbed one of my image maps (a harsh city grid), but never checked it up close. I guess with the default opacity method there might be ragged edges where the opacity stops.
About texturing/adding colors, can it not be done by adding some color fractals after the cloud, and blending them by a distribution shader for slopes and heights? Or multiplying the cloud by a colored PF? I didn't open your tgd yet, so I don't know your setup.

j meyer

Yeah,keep them coming Kadri!

As far as i'm aware no one has found a way to color/texture clouds with
PFs or any other of the regular methods yet.
Maybe by camera projection?

Kadri

Thanks guys!

I tried projection camera but couldn't get it to work before.

Now it works! Don't know if it was me or the settings.
Anyway!

It works but it needs tweaking.
There is only one cloud and one original picture projected on this cloud.
The colors are off. You guys can make this work i think ;)

My own way of texturing is easier to control for me but it has it drawbacks.
I use the same Red , Green and Blue pixel method as in monitors etc. as you can clearly  see above , on the last test images.
There is moire too  :) There are 3 clouds for the 3 channels of the image and 3 projectors .
The red channel image is projected (or in any other way) on the red cloud and so on.
(CMYK joke anyone :) )

You can make crazy looking clouds or maybe more controlled 2-3-4 colored ones.

I don't know if i can use these for cloud texturing (for fake hard cloud objects) .
Edit: There is one very basic way it seems. But Colors...hmm! Later. Have no time!
It would be good for cities and so , but i have enough of clouds for now !

Cheers!

Zairyn Arsyn

reminds of the death star.  :)
Quote from: Kadri on April 17, 2011, 12:16:35 AM
I tried to go much closer with a bigger image map. 20 000 x 20 000 (grayscale of course) this time.
just for fun  :) There is no need for such big maps for all projects of course.
20,000x20,000!!!!!!  :o
jeeze... that's *%#)*% massive, did TG2 have any trouble with a image map of that size?
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Kadri

Quote from: zaai999 on April 18, 2011, 09:08:30 AM
reminds of the death star.  :)

Me too , Zaai999 ! So i made a hallow inner core to make it a little different.
And this isn't original too unfortunately :)

Quote from: zaai999 on April 18, 2011, 09:08:30 AM
20,000x20,000!!!!!!  :o
jeeze... that's *%#)*% massive, did TG2 have any trouble with a image map of that size?

It is a 382 MB gray scale TGA file. And no there was no problem.
But it takes a while to load :)
It is the biggest image map i used until today.
The  3 files i used before where 32 bit (should be 8 doh!) 10 000 x 10 0000 PNG files and there wasn't a problem either .
When the software handles so many things without a problem i begin to be lazy  ;)
TG2 is so far i use very stable !
Edit: I have 4 GB ram and Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.

dandelO

When I used some of the Blue Marble images I managed to easily load four 21,600x10,800px image maps to the planet surface. Terragen just loves to load large objects, better than any other application I know.

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on April 18, 2011, 12:58:38 PM
When I used some of the Blue Marble images I managed to easily load four 21,600x10,800px image maps to the planet surface. Terragen just loves to load large objects, better than any other application I know.

Yes, Dandelo ! Matt knows his work :)