Waves, once more

Started by Dune, April 15, 2011, 03:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

The quest goes on, other method again....

choronr

I just ordered your files from NWDA; and must say, this is an exciting couple of files. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to generate a clip file where I can join it with another terrain.

Dune

Thanks, Bob. Matching it with another terrain will be a little difficult I think, as the warping of the seas also affects the coastline (if you have version II). You'd best build up the coastal terrain from a certain height from the basic terrain. There are small glitches anyway; as shown in this slightly adapted 'Dunes Water II'. The wave height needs to be controlled or you'll have to find some good seeds in the 'all waves node' (which you can test by attaching it to the testwarper, near the lake object node) and I'm looking for a better way to get the breaker foam to really bubble (here it does bubble in the distant too high waves, but not nearby). I did add another small scale warper to the 'onshore foam irregulator', which yields nice results in the foam line on the shore. Never mind the shiners in the water, I forgot to delete a second sun right ahead.
And the debris lines are best controlled by height instead of the basic warper, I now realize.

Anyway, for anyone interested to have a go at this 'exciting couple of files': http://store.nwdanet.com/terragen2store/6-terragen-2-presets/23-water.html

Jon (Hetzen) has sent me a blue node wave file to work on, which might be the final breakthrough in waves, but there's much that needs to be done to that. It is bloody complicated.

mogn

Quote from: jo on April 27, 2011, 08:34:21 AM
Hi Dune,

That's some really cool stuff you've been doing, very impressive :-).

Just to be a pain, waves are often considered to be trochoidal in shape rather than sine:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/watwav2.html

My intention for implementing 3D waves was to do it using a trochoidal wave. One criticism of your waves is they look a little thick and lumpy near the shore. The characteristics of trochoidal waves might give a bit better look.

Not getting down on what you've been doing, just suggesting an avenue to explore to make it even better :-).

Regards,

Jo

I can implement a "Curtate Cycloid", see picture.

This curve have the parameter formulas:

X = AW - Bcos(W)
  Y = A    - Bsin(W)

X x-axis
 Y amplitude
 A Ocean Depth
 B  Max deviation for A (B < A)

Dune

Thanks, Mogn. But math isn't my strongest point. I think Jon would better understand this. The only thing I can say at this point is that I just 'studied' waves in Portugal (nice and warm), and noticed that they aren't really following strict sinusoid (or whatever) distribution. They come and go and fase eachother out or strengthen eachother, small waves and larger, etc. For a natural look, the coastal waves shouldn't be very strictly regulated, I suppose.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on June 04, 2011, 02:44:01 AM
Thanks, Bob. Matching it with another terrain will be a little difficult I think, as the warping of the seas also affects the coastline (if you have version II). You'd best build up the coastal terrain from a certain height from the basic terrain. There are small glitches anyway; as shown in this slightly adapted 'Dunes Water II'. The wave height needs to be controlled or you'll have to find some good seeds in the 'all waves node' (which you can test by attaching it to the testwarper, near the lake object node) and I'm looking for a better way to get the breaker foam to really bubble (here it does bubble in the distant too high waves, but not nearby). I did add another small scale warper to the 'onshore foam irregulator', which yields nice results in the foam line on the shore. Never mind the shiners in the water, I forgot to delete a second sun right ahead.
And the debris lines are best controlled by height instead of the basic warper, I now realize.

Anyway, for anyone interested to have a go at this 'exciting couple of files': http://store.nwdanet.com/terragen2store/6-terragen-2-presets/23-water.html

Jon (Hetzen) has sent me a blue node wave file to work on, which might be the final breakthrough in waves, but there's much that needs to be done to that. It is bloody complicated.

Thank you Ulco, in any event, this will be a great experimenting file. As time goes on, I'm sure we'll see some new ideas.  I'll continue to work with it and hopefully come up with something unique.

Bob

Hetzen

Quote from: Dune on June 04, 2011, 02:44:01 AM

Was that last image using that function set Ulco? There's some rogue peaks in that. I'll have another crack at it tomorrow, and set up some control masks for you to have a play at texturing.

@Mogn. I'd like to play a little more with an approach I have, which uses fractals to define it's randomness. This already allows me to split the wave at it's peak, so that I can define it's front and back, and shape it accordingly as it approaches the shore. I think I can also make it curl too.

My math is somewhat lost in the last 20 years, but your degree to vector direction, that you mentioned in another thread, has been very useful in something else I had a play with the other day. I managed to get a colour space object to twist towards the centre, be that a PF or Bitmap. It has 'fold back' limitations, but is quite animateable. The Arctan2 node was the star in the end. You could use it to create hurricaines or galaxies, without having to mask a non twisted colour space.

Dune

No, it's the 'old' set of files I have at NWDA, with a set of warped stretched PF's for waves. I've changed it from displacement by a displacement shader to displacement from within the PF, which gives more control over peaks.
I have been distracted (and on vacation) lately, so didn't have much time to really dive into your blue nodes. An update would be very welcome though!

Henry Blewer

This is better than many wave renders I have seen that were done in other apps.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

inkydigit

excellent waves, love the shoreline also...brilliant imho!

Seth

excellent. i really like the different part of the sand too !

freelancah

Splendid waves! I wonder how they look animated!

Dune

This is a (rough and dirty, and far from perfect) result of our combined set of files, Jon. Mine and your blue nodes, slightly adapted. It's hard to comprehend from the blue nodes that you can set the number of waves by changing color of a PF and the amount of warp by changing the scales. Fascinating. It's great that your nodes easily fit in my method of 'coast-following'. I'll work on this again, as there's much to improve. I was hoping to get a mixed number of waves, blended by a PF, to 'irregulate' the even lines, and I've got a few ideas.

choronr

Following this thread is very interesting watching it develop. Looking forward.

Tangled-Universe

Looks awesome Ulco :)
Personally I'd reduce the number of waves to 2 or 3 as it seems the sea is becoming deep pretty quick.
Secondly, I think beyond the 3rd wave the blending with the water shader is not ideal anymore.