Waves, once more

Started by Dune, April 15, 2011, 03:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

@Jon; These are not sinus bands, and it's a totally different concept. DUNE'S SURF VERSION 2.0  :D :D Made another breakthrough yesterday, but it's still not perfect. This will be interesting for the NWDA I think, to at least get a small reward for the days browsing my brain (I'll PM some of you contributing guys, though).
Here's another setup, but I forgot to switch from 'fake water' to real water, hence the lack of transparency. I now need to find a way to make smooth lengthwise wave patterns, but that's a matter of time (perhaps a stretched perlin 3D will even work). The surf here is too close together and too high.

Henry Blewer

I'm not sure about the surf bending to match the shore. If I remember correctly, the waves 'march in line' to strike the shore. This is still a very nice render. I like the water like this also. I don't think the transparency would be very noticeable at this viewing angle.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

If waves are driven by wind, they'll march in line, but gentler waves more relate to changes in depth, I'd say. Anyway, in this method it is kind of controllable. Kind of! There's another restriction; you can't just plug this water/surf into any terrain. Coastline formation and surf go 'hand in hand'.  8)
Here's one with proper water, but the next one will have better lines of surf, with a new set of PF's. And a foaming reef!

max_thehitman

*Big Applause*

Man, that looks excellent!  8) I would love to be on that beach relaxing with a cool drink , getting
a suntan. Looks mighty nice to my eyes. Love the detail with the little bird on the sandy beach too. Its those
little details that sometimes make an image even more pleasent and beautiful.
Great job on another classy scene Mr.Dune!
Cheers
MAX

choronr

The water transparency, wet line and debris line all add up to a realistic shore.

Dune

Update...

Zairyn Arsyn

these two are the best yet IMO. :)

the way waves curve around in the background looks like its some weird unnatural current you would'nt want to get caught in swimming.
:o :D
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

choronr

Oh man this is beautiful ...must package it up so that those of us who don't have the brains to create such waves could use it. Great stuff Ulco! 

Henry Blewer

Very stunning work. The water does work better with the proper shader. The other shader works very nicely for testing. I hope you do offer this on NWDA.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

gsmith

Wow, the level of realism is just unmatched..this is something I've been trying to learn forever now, absolutely mind blowing! Foam seems to be my only problem right now..no matter what I try I can never seem to get it down. This is just amazing.

Themodman101

Thats really looking amazing Dune, I love the seafoam.. Only one thing, doesnt the wet line on the beach look a little large for the size of the waves?

Dune

You're right about the width of the wet sand. I also forgot to uncheck RayTrace, so it's a little too 'perfectly' mirroring.

Seth

imprseeive job ! congratulations for this one man ^^
really nice render

Dune

I have now made another setup (again) where the breaking waves are distributed along an adjustable width of sinuses, instead of by stretched fractals. Kind of like a set of sinus waves from left to right (X direction). Now I only need to find a procedural way to get the waves/sinuses on the left wider than on the right (or the other way around). Some other blue node having to do with the X value, I'd say, but I can't yet figure out how. In fact I wouldn't know if the wider waves (in deeper water) are necessarily lower than the smaller breaking waves... in that case they sinus tops on the left should also be a little grayer than the smaller waves on the right.
This is part of the node network. Does anyone have an idea?

Dune

Here's a render, just finished, where you can see the effect of the sinuses. It's a test, so the terrain is no good. The sinuses are all the same width, which is what I want to change...