Value of multiple atmosphere

Started by TheBadger, May 17, 2011, 02:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

I was wondering if anyone has made an image using more than one atmosphere.

It seems to me that since its an option in terregen2 to have multiple atmosphere, than there must be a good use for it, but I cant imagine what people are doing with it.

Thanks.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

TheBadger

QuoteThis is the only useful thing I've ever done with 2 atmospheres:

So in essence, what you and others are doing (based on the thread you shared) is using additional atmospheres as a fill light or how a photographer would use a bounce light. Is that correct?

Michael
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

Well I think I have been the only one who used it succesfully once, but I might be mistaking.
There are easier ways to achieve the same effect I was going for in that thread.

Indeed, you can use it as an extra fill light. The bright atmosphere is not visible, however.
In this case I wouldn't call it a bounce/reflector like a photographer uses.

Anyway, it's one use I can think off and have seen so far.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

rcallicotte

Someone (Franck?) was using the Ambient setting for the Environment lighting in connection with the regular setting to come up with some fantastic lighting scenarios.  I use it frequently like he revealed, after much begging.  Yes.  He made me beg.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Zairyn Arsyn

i try it from time to time.

i think i remember DandelO did a render with at least 4 atmospheres once.

here is something i made with more than atmosphere-
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4772.msg49906#msg49906
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

neon22

Quote from: zaai999 on May 18, 2011, 11:04:00 AM
here is something i made with more than atmosphere-
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4772.msg49906#msg49906
Are you using the two atmospheres in the same way as Dandelo - I.e. one controls primary; the other secondary ?
Or in a different way ?
Can you explain how they help you create the thin line...?

Zairyn Arsyn

i believe it was just two or three atmosphere nodes stacked on top of each other, each with different settings,
i did that render a long time ago, i cant exactly remember what i did.
would have to look in my tgd archives.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

fleetwood

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 17, 2011, 02:52:37 PM
Well I think I have been the only one who used it succesfully once, but I might be mistaking.
There are easier ways to achieve the same effect I was going for in that thread.

Indeed, you can use it as an extra fill light. The bright atmosphere is not visible, however.
In this case I wouldn't call it a bounce/reflector like a photographer uses.

Anyway, it's one use I can think off and have seen so far.

You may find a set of clouds that give you perfect spot lighting and shadows on your subject,
but you don't like the look of the those particular clouds in the sky.
You can keep the great lighting by using only the first atmosphere's shadows, but
generate a new set of nicer looking clouds that don't cast shadows.
The fact that the clouds and their shadows on the ground don't perfectly match is rather
hard to spot since the clouds casting the shadows often aren't even in direct view.

TheBadger

fleetwood, I like that idea. I was thinking aside from other worldly shots, that what you describe would be a good fix for a current problem im trying to work through. I think I going to have to play a long time to get it to work.

If you have done it like you describe feel free to explain how you worked the nodes.

It has been eaten.

inkydigit

I have rendered an image with two atmos, by mistake!!
one was pretty much default the other was modified, more haze etc...can't say I noticed much difference...

rcallicotte

It depends on how it's done.  Some (or many?) of Franck's (Seth's) first images, filled with beautiful atmosphere, used a combination of two atmospheres - one regular and the other ambient.  But, the settings are adjusted on both to match. 

I remember, too, when someone used the environment to introduce lighting via objects or the Background object...can't remember.  But, it was well done.  It was Moodflow...

Quote from: inkydigit on May 19, 2011, 07:01:22 AM
one was pretty much default the other was modified, more haze etc...can't say I noticed much difference...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

fleetwood

Quote from: TheBadger on May 19, 2011, 12:49:31 AM
fleetwood, I like that idea. I was thinking aside from other worldly shots, that what you describe would be a good fix for a current problem im trying to work through. I think I going to have to play a long time to get it to work.

If you have done it like you describe feel free to explain how you worked the nodes.

This method doesn't need any fancy node connections, and it doesn't need an actual second Atmosphere.
It only needs two different sets of clouds.
Both cloud sets are checked Enabled.
The clouds to not appear but cast shadows have the Primary box unchecked and Secondary box checked.
The clouds to appear in the sky and create no shadows have the Primary box checked and the Secondary box unchecked.

I used it in the second Elephantfoot Rock image because it preserved the lighting on the tree atop the rock spire but allowed me to use
better clouds in the sky.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11093.0;attach=27786;image

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on May 19, 2011, 09:21:04 AM
It depends on how it's done.  Some (or many?) of Franck's (Seth's) first images, filled with beautiful atmosphere, used a combination of two atmospheres - one regular and the other ambient.  But, the settings are adjusted on both to match. 

I remember, too, when someone used the environment to introduce lighting via objects or the Background object...can't remember.  But, it was well done.  It was Moodflow...

Quote from: inkydigit on May 19, 2011, 07:01:22 AM

You're talking about Environment Light here Calico, not the atmosphere.