Area population with multiple objects

Started by cramgfx, June 18, 2011, 07:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cramgfx

Hi everyone

I'm new to Terragen and i'd like to know if there's a way to put multiple objects in a single population area?

I've try to create new objet with the objet maker but when i populate then render my scene, i can only see one tree render..

Thanks a lot for your answers!

dandelO

You can only currently apply one object per populator. If you were to join several objects into one in an external 3D app, then use that combined object in the populator, that's probably about as close as you can get to multiple objects in one population, at the moment.

Henry Blewer

I use distribution shaders for my populations. I connect the Blend by shader input to a distribution shader created for that eco-type. For instance, green grasses have a distribution shader for their pops. Dry grasses have another, which may use the density fractal from the green grasses but with invert checked.

This gives great control over the population object size and spacing.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

cramgfx

Thanks a lot for your reply, i'm going to use the displacement trick to control my populations.

Best regards from a new terragen padawan.

Henry Blewer

Distribution. Displacement is a different animal.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Mohawk20

Seeing as we are a few more years into the future, and a few versions have come and gone...

Is there any way to have multiple objects in one population?
Or is it something that will be implemented in the future, like in TG4?
Howgh!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 27, 2016, 08:58:21 AM
Seeing as we are a few more years into the future, and a few versions have come and gone...

Is there any way to have multiple objects in one population?
Or is it something that will be implemented in the future, like in TG4?

PS hasn't mentioned anything like this but I as well remain hopeful.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: dandelO on June 18, 2011, 07:57:17 AM
You can only currently apply one object per populator. If you were to join several objects into one in an external 3D app, then use that combined object in the populator, that's probably about as close as you can get to multiple objects in one population, at the moment.

I've done this before I got the full version and it works quite well .
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Mohawk20

Quote from: bobbystahr on May 27, 2016, 11:09:37 AM
I've done this before I got the full version and it works quite well .
A good option, but not in this case, as I want to have millions of people walk across a 2 kilometer wide stretch of Red Sea...
And if I'd want to make a random ecosystem, prefab object clusters would also look fake.
Howgh!

bcgreen24

...and now we're six years further on. :)

This is a must-have feature!

Bryan