Star Wars

Started by bertrand, April 09, 2007, 06:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bertrand

Here's an attempt at recreating this Star-Wars feel... Used models graciously provided on SciFi3D. I initially had a reflective shader on the snow/ice layer, which looked great in my test renders, but I scrapped it after realising it would take two months to render a final version. C+C welcome.

old_blaggard

Nice integration of the fighters.  I haven't seen Star Wars in a loooong time, but somehow I imagined them being blacker :P.  I think a little motion blur would have added a good feeling of movement to this scene, but it's still a good image.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

bertrand

Yes, I need to render several images with/without fighters and landscape and composite in Photoshop to get a good motion blur effect. I'd like to add glowing reactors too. That'll be the next step.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: bertrand on April 09, 2007, 07:54:47 AM
Yes, I need to render several images with/without fighters and landscape and composite in Photoshop to get a good motion blur effect. I'd like to add glowing reactors too. That'll be the next step.

nice image....if you add glowing reactors....please give me tutorial kinda thing so that I can use it to....I have a scene which could use these kinda details....thanx

and very nice image....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

bertrand

I kind of tried something along those lines here. Pretty unsophisticated but it kind of works. It's just a combination of a white spot and a very small lens flare effect on each reactor. Of course, it's only a trick, so it does not give you any reflection of illumination effect as you would normally have.

dhavalmistry

it looks good...but more color combination (maybe red in middle) would look more realistic and trail of the flame/smoke of course
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

bertrand

I'll try to composite several shots and see what I get: the general render as above; a render without landscape with an alpha layer as background for the motion blur, and a shot of the crafts illuminated by a small sphere where the engine should be (with GI at about 6). Will post it asap.

rcallicotte

This is just plain fun!  The first picture looks real and would look even more real with some sort of visual clue that they're moving at the speed of Mach 3...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bertrand

Here's another try. Three different renders were composited here for the engine glow, motion blur and main image. Lens flare and blending done in Photoshop. Blur not quite right though...

old_blaggard

Great job on the engine glow!  I still don't see much motion blur, but it's definitely made progress.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Practice makes perfect.  Motion blur is so difficult in my estimation.  Too much and the good image is ruined.  Not enough and it seems like something's wrong with the image.  I love this background; the terrain is nice.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

king_tiger_666

dhavalmistry you can get them to glow using luminosity for the glow and a invisible light source. thats how i got my star trek shuttle warp cells glowing looked decent.
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

bertrand

Yes, including another light source in the scene is how you get the reflections of the engine glow onto the wings and other parts of the craft. I guess in theory you could do that in the completed scene, but because of time I rendered just the crafts that way (deleted planet1) and then composited to two pics (the trick is to position the emitters correctly, which is kind of hard since you don't see the actual craft objects in the preview). For this scene I used two light blue spheres (size:0.7, emitting power 1000). The lense flare in post-prod just adds this sort of "combustion" feel.
I agree that the motion blur is a bit subtle. It's partly because it was added to another isolated render of the fighters (no emitters, no planet, just a sun) and then composited back into the scene as a separate layer and using a "lighten" blending option in photoshop. A better, but much more time-consuming option, would have been to render the crafts against an alpha channel to get full transparency and composite them onto the full landscape using a "normal" blending mode for the two layers and playing with opacity until it looks right. I couldn't be bothered to cut out the crafts manually though, so I went for "lighten", which basically gets rid of the black background in the isolated render and only copies the lighter parts of the pictures into the landscape image, hence the subtlety...
King_Tiger: Where can I see your Star Trek shuttle?

king_tiger_666

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

bertrand

Very nice! Seems like I've been reiterating your method without knowing about it...