An unusual 4x4 NWDA promo - Winners on page 2

Started by FrankB, August 22, 2011, 12:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Just a quickie testing the light position. Not convinced the grass is floating; just an irregularity in the ground surface. The mood is lost; the appearance is too flat. The figure scale is OK.  More to come...

Markal

The pines look young and small...they are not tall enough...scale is way off. The background mountain to the left center looks like a large dune...how can a dune exist in a pine forest???  Clouds....what clouds? The lake or river has no dark sand or pebbles on the shoreline to show wetness or reality. The pixel aspect ratio is too narrow (balance)...make it 1.5 to add a little to the foreground. I know its a WIP, still.....

I know you're better than this...quit trying to be great and just be yourself....be choronr...thats what we want to see.

Sorry Bob, I'd start over. This doesn't work for me....but, what do I know?
Keep on man!
Mark

choronr

Hey, it works for me. Maybe that's why I like hot/spicy food and you don't.

choronr

Quote from: Markal on September 01, 2011, 12:30:15 AM
The pines look young and small...they are not tall enough...scale is way off. The background mountain to the left center looks like a large dune...how can a dune exist in a pine forest???  Clouds....what clouds? The lake or river has no dark sand or pebbles on the shoreline to show wetness or reality. The pixel aspect ratio is too narrow (balance)...make it 1.5 to add a little to the foreground. I know its a WIP, still.....

I know you're better than this...quit trying to be great and just be yourself....be choronr...thats what we want to see.

Sorry Bob, I'd start over. This doesn't work for me....but, what do I know?
Keep on man!
Mark
Let me reiterate; they look not tall enough to you but perfect to me. If they are young, they are young. The upcoming render does not show the bare, sand colored mountain - it will be in shade; and, too steep to support trees. Clouds? What are you talking about? The lake or river you're talking about is still - no wetness; no dark sand - and yes, that is reality. The aspect ratio is where I wanted it to be; or, did you just wanted to see more water? The WIP is rendering; I know you can't wait to see it.

You know I'm better than this? I'm trying to be great? Be myself? Mark, I don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

Start over? Not a chance. What you will see is what you will get. Of what I implied in the previous comment, we all have different tastes ...either you like my taste; or, you don't.

Yep, 75 and will keep on going!

Bob  

FrankB

Quote from: Markal on September 01, 2011, 12:30:15 AM....but, what do I know?
Keep on man!
Mark

Dude, knowing your over-sensible reactions from previous critics on your work,... if someone would have written this in the same tone towards your work, you would probably have started crying, so slow down man.
The "keep on man" bit at the end doesn't rescue it. Bob is a respected veteran Terragen fellow who doesn't deserve this dismissive tone from someone like you. I expect you to think hard and come back to apologize.

Frank

TheBadger

@choronr

Like the light now. I know you liked the mood better before, but maybe you can gain some mood back and still keep everything as lit as it is now. I would not raise the hight of the trees in the foreground as a few have put forth. Rather, think about lowering the hight of just a few, enough to give the viewer the ability to see further back into the shot. And there place larger older trees. You will keep the isolated feel of your blocking but still add depth. Just my thinking, but to tell you the truth I liked the first one anyway. Also, thanks for the idea about the figure, did you say it was free to use? Please post a link, I don't know much about these things yet.

It has been eaten.

choronr

Quote from: TheBadger on September 01, 2011, 02:52:53 AM
@choronr

Like the light now. I know you liked the mood better before, but maybe you can gain some mood back and still keep everything as lit as it is now. I would not raise the hight of the trees in the foreground as a few have put forth. Rather, think about lowering the hight of just a few, enough to give the viewer the ability to see further back into the shot. And there place larger older trees. You will keep the isolated feel of your blocking but still add depth. Just my thinking, but to tell you the truth I liked the first one anyway. Also, thanks for the idea about the figure, did you say it was free to use? Please post a link, I don't know much about these things yet.

Thanks TB, The link for the figure model is: Artec3D.com. Look over their gallery. There you will find a limited group of models. The one I used was 44MB. You can use these; but, need to give them recognition - see their 'Creative Commons' info.

rcallicotte

I'm glad Frank said it.  Something to be said about not putting up with insults and I know most in this crowd are fair.

I do like it, because it looks peaceful and it's well composed.  Good setup and render, too.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Markal

Bob, I apologize for being too critical of your image. In the future I will tone down my comments.
Seriously, the image is looking very good.

Frank, I have known Bob for a long time. We shared files and even collaberated on images way back in the early TG.9 days.
I did not intend to insult him or hurt anyone elses feelings.
My apologies to all.
Mark

choronr

Quote from: Markal on September 01, 2011, 12:00:21 PM
Bob, I apologize for being too critical of your image. In the future I will tone down my comments.

Frank, I have known Bob for a long time. We shared files and even collaberated on images way back in the early TG.9 days.
My apologies to all.
Mark

Thank you Mark; now, let's get on and keep those creative juices flowing...

choronr

The final image. Tried the compute terrain after the last shader and attached the grass pop to it - results was the same except a different pattern which was not acceptable. All other suggestions were applied with good results. Will also post this in the image sharing section.

Bob

rcallicotte

I still want to see the person's face - maybe some ambient light from the water? 

rcallicotte

It's funny how online (email, etc.) communication comes across a lot differently than it's usually meant.  So sorry to perhaps be too quick to jump on a self-made bandwagon.

Quote from: Markal on September 01, 2011, 12:00:21 PM

My apologies to all.
Mark

choronr

Quote from: calico on September 01, 2011, 04:51:17 PM
I still want to see the person's face - maybe some ambient light from the water? 
I would try that; but, at this point, I want to move on to something else. The figure model used is from Artec (check their gallery at: http://www.artec3d.com ).

masonspappy

My two cents: Let the image stand "as-is". It casts an aura of solutude and introspection, and the lack of facial features simply allows the observer to interpret the scene according to his or her own tastes. I think the stream bank is spot-on (there's a place I go walking that is very much like that).  It's a serene and slightly moody piece, with the trees and overall landscape handlly lending itself to those themes.  Quite well done, Bob!