Take me there!

Started by AP, August 26, 2011, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Wow.  That second one looks too unreal...like the land of Myst.  COOL.

AP

Here is another nice location for inspiration.

AP

Another one. Notice the mix of straight strata rock layers and tilted layers. Good stuff.

http://djbweblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/monument-valley-9-081208.jpg

rcallicotte

Tangled-Universe

That's not entirely impossible I'd say?

The most difficult thing would be the sedimentation buildup.
Coincidentially I've been experimenting a lot with World-Machine lately to see if I can get this effect, but it is very tricky.

Perhaps a surface layer with favour depression may be of use, as you've recently shown.

AP

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 02, 2012, 04:08:44 AM
That's not entirely impossible I'd say?

The most difficult thing would be the sedimentation buildup.
Coincidentially I've been experimenting a lot with World-Machine lately to see if I can get this effect, but it is very tricky.

Perhaps a surface layer with favour depression may be of use, as you've recently shown.

Yes, the talus fans for the sediment. This i think is one of the holy grails of digital terrains. I have yet to see it cracked. I know one could probably take an inverted erosion channel for displacement but it is still just a thin channel and they do tent to drain out and or rocks falling into fans which is what is going on in the photograph.

I have been a world machine and geocontrol user for several years. I think we may just have a case of simply that the features are not there. Wide sedimentary fans seem hard to calculate in terrain software. I did manage to get tiny fans in world machine but they do not get any bigger that that. It is simply the limitation of the erosion node.

Even if i tried the surface layer idea, there is still an issue of how to get it to fan outward to taper at the base of the terrain mass.

There is always the case that as much as i work on these issues that something is overlooked.    ;D