Lightwave 11 On 11-11-11

Started by rcallicotte, November 12, 2011, 08:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

The instancing options look pretty good with the ability to texture individual instances uniquely, I wish TG had that feature.

Bullet physics is also a great addition, it seems there are no soft-body dynamics yet but maybe that will come in a later update. I love using bullet physics in Carrara but it lacks an object-sequence export function and I've scoured the net for a plugin or script that will do it to no avail(if anyone knows of a Carrara plugin for this please let me know), I really want to bring animated physics into TG, maybe LW has the sequence export function. I know Houdini can export sequences but I have problems trying to install the Apprentice version to test it out and see how Houdini works.

I was given LW 9 ages ago but the UI and workings are pretty counter intuitive to me and I can't really work out how to use it well, it does have a nice .chan export plugin that can be used with TG without any additional editing that Richard showed me quite recently and that's great but I really should invest some time in learning LW, it's a shame to have it and never use it.

Kadri

So far i know Calico , Zaai , Dune and myself use Ligthwave from here . Not sure but Oshyan or was it Jo use or know it too...not sure.
I would like to help you so much i know of course . My work hours are not much restricting. Do not hesitate to ask Martin :)

Calico will you buy LW 11 . The new things look good but there is a little mixed feeling i think you know :)
But i loved the news . Much as i was expecting really.
( It is more appropriate here. I did copy paste this here.)

Zairyn Arsyn

Cyphyr uses lightwave
Quote from: Kadri on November 12, 2011, 05:54:30 PM

So far i know Calico , Zaai , Dune and myself use Ligthwave from here . Not sure but Oshyan or was it Jo use or know it too...not sure.
I would like to help you so much i know of course . My work hours are not much restricting. Do not hesitate to ask Martin :)

Calico will you buy LW 11 . The new things look good but there is a little mixed feeling i think you know :)

Started using LW in 2001, back when i was in high school, we had LW 5, i didn't get any training there, i was on my own.
i recall even farther back in time my high school had Amigas and a Video Toaster. :)

I still have LW 8.5 right now :/
just installed LW 32bit/64bit again recently apparently most of my downloaded plugins and scripts wont work.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Kadri

Quote from: zaai-three-nine on November 12, 2011, 09:07:14 PM
Cyphyr uses lightwave

Thanks good to know , Zaai.

Quote from: zaai-three-nine on November 12, 2011, 09:07:14 PM
I still have LW 8.5 right now :/
just installed LW 32bit/64bit again recently apparently most of my downloaded plugins and scripts wont work.

You could update it Zaai. Newtek is good at prices for updates you know.

rcallicotte

Thanks.  I'll plan to bring up Lightwave more often.  I haven't been focusing on it much lately, but it's my main 3D application.  As for an upgrade, I'm planning to check pricing first. 

Quote from: Kadri on November 12, 2011, 05:54:30 PM

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Kadri

Quote from: calico on November 12, 2011, 10:12:27 PM
...  As for an upgrade, I'm planning to check pricing first. 

Yes a problem for me now too. I am waiting for customer support mail .

cyphyr

Hi guys
Yes I've been using Lightwave since v5.6 (still got the cd somewhere). This update looks great, I'll be upgrading for sure. Bullet dynamics along with fracture and flocking will open up a whole bunch of opportunities for some interesting scenes and effects (flocking excites me the most). There's nothing that new here though, many other programs have had these abilities for ages (I'm thinking Maya mostly) and this fact has held back Lightwave and its users, hopefully that is about to change.

Soft-body dynamics have been in LW for a while, hidden away mind you, far right tab of the object properties you've got SoftFX, HardFX, and ClothFX and some emitter, collision detection, wind and gravity. It's there but not particularly intuitive or fast. Hopefully some of these new features will also speed up workflow in the older features, hopefully ...

Object sequence export is possible, just can't remember how off hand!

cheer

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Kadri

Yep i feel the same Richard .
Regarding Object sequence export i do not remember it too.
Save transformed is there but the whole sequence ?  
I remember that i used an object sequence ones upon a time ago  ;D

Kadri

This seems to work. Tried it on a very basic moving object .

http://www.interialabs.de/lw/lscript/index.html

Save Transformed Sequence (GN)
IL_ScrubReplace_131.zip

It is a LScripts and should work on 32 and 64 bit systems . I use Windows 7 64 bit with Lightwave 64 bit .

If there are other options would like to hear :)

Calico i hope you don't mind the little off topic ?

jaf

I've been using Lightwave for a several years, but stopped upgrading at 9.61 since I just use Modeler.  From what I've read. v11 is mostly all Layout updates. 
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Kadri

Yes mostly updates for Layout .
I would buy LWcad if you are more in Modeler or-and 3Dcoat , Zbrush.
But i think you know this already , Jaf  :)
The pre-release is a beta still. And maybe some new things could be added or changed .

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123618

Kadri

Guys even if you don't use Lightwave or do not want to use it this show was nice.
If you like 3D VFX etc. in general you will probably like it.

http://newtek.com/features-video.html

Edit: LightWave 11 Pre-Release What's New Guide PDF

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=123628

TheBadger

Hi

Hey kadri and everyone. At the end of the video in the post just above this post, the speaker references a short film made totally within Lightwave. Here is a link to that films trailer. I imagine that except for the models (objects) that the terrain stuff could be done in terragen2 even better, but I am wondering how the render times compare.

http://www.abiogenesisfilm.com/Trailer.html

Here is something the film maker says on his page: "...(Lightwave) could do everything I needed to make the film. I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be the most stable and user friendly 3D animation package I had ever used."

What do you think?
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Quote from: dandelO on November 12, 2011, 04:49:00 PM
I love using bullet physics in Carrara but it lacks an object-sequence export function and I've scoured the net for a plugin or script that will do it to no avail(if anyone knows of a Carrara plugin for this please let me know), I really want to bring animated physics into TG, maybe LW has the sequence export function. I know Houdini can export sequences but I have problems trying to install the Apprentice version to test it out and see how Houdini works.

dandelO, if it's not rude to ask in Kadri's thread, would you mind Giving a quick but informative review of Carrara(8?). Carrara makes claims of being the easiest 3D program to use, as well as the best value for the dollar. Actually, the man who made the film I link to above makes the same claim of lightwave. And I am more uncertain than ever of what 3D program I want to buy. I thought I wanted maya or lightwave, Lightwave because I keep hearing that its user friendly, and maya because its standard. But I recently learned of Carrara8, which as I said, claims to be easy to learn. I am getting pretty sick of trying to learn endless amounts of new programs, I just want to get back to making art. Advise is very welcome from everyone.

Thanks
It has been eaten.