Xfrog Plant Problem

Started by ares2101, November 20, 2011, 03:24:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ares2101



This is meant to be an alien tree, what's with the black on the leaves?  In Xfrog, inserting that fern texture turns the leaves into it regardless and treats everything else in the shape as nonexistent.  How can I make that black area transparent in TG2?

It's an OBJ file with associated MTL file, the leaf texture is a TIF.

Also, anyone know any good useable fern-like textures for leaves?  That one is not quite what I want (kind of uneven for the size), I just used it as a test.
Windows 7x64 Home Premium , Intel Core i7-3779K 3.50 Ghz, WD1000DHTZ 1 TB HDD, G.Skill Ripsaws X Series 16 GB (2x8 GB), Gigabyte GA-Z7  Motherboard, SeaSonic  x650 Gold 650 Watt PS, Geforce GTX 770 GPU with Driver Version 327.4

Tangled-Universe

The TIFF's of XFrog plants should have their alpha-channel already.

Go into the internal network of your object, by double-clicking on the + symbol of the object until you see the red shaders.
Inside the leaf shader node go to the opacity tab and make sure that "use alpha channel" is enabled.

If this doesn't work then you need to isolate the alpha-channel in Photoshop for example and save it as a bitmap (for instance) and load that as alpha image.

Cheers,
Martin

dandelO

The opacity tab of the image map shader should probably use the original colour image if it's a .tif but you need to make sure the checkbox 'use alpha channel' is selected.
If the original colour .tif image doesn't have built in transparency, you should use an alpha mask, a black/white image of the same shape as the leaf as the opacity image. Black areas apply nothing and white areas will apply the opacity so, the leaf alpha image should have the white area as the exact shape of the leaf, with black around the outside.

* Beat to the post by TU. :)

ares2101

OK, I checked alpha channel and inserted the leaf texture as the opacity map and that fixed it.  Strange that I had to take those steps though, but saving it as a TGO file seems to have locked all the right settings, so mission accomplished.  Thanks.
Windows 7x64 Home Premium , Intel Core i7-3779K 3.50 Ghz, WD1000DHTZ 1 TB HDD, G.Skill Ripsaws X Series 16 GB (2x8 GB), Gigabyte GA-Z7  Motherboard, SeaSonic  x650 Gold 650 Watt PS, Geforce GTX 770 GPU with Driver Version 327.4