terragen and geocontrol2

Started by mhaze, December 14, 2011, 03:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

I've just started playing with geocontrol2 and I'm having difficulty exporting my landscapes as they appear totally different in terragen.  I'm also having trouble exporting shaders from GC2 and alining them with the terrain in terragen

Can anyone give me any pointers.

Cheers

Mick

rcallicotte

One thing is to change the parameters to increase the height in Terragen.  Otherwise, I've seen some very cool terrains created this way.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

Quite possibly not relevant but I have found that maps exported from World Machine need to be flipped in the y axis to line up in Terragen.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on December 14, 2011, 10:31:12 AM
Quite possibly not relevant but I have found that maps exported from World Machine need to be flipped in the y axis to line up in Terragen.
Cheers
Richard

That has been fixed, unless you use an older version.

Cheers
Martin

cyphyr

Ah, thanks Martin, I did wonder, I'm using v2, I think we're up to v2.3 now in WM.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

AP

If your terrain is 4096 by 4096, you want to use the image map to project on the Y Axis and make the size 61440 by 61440. Go into the render tab to the texture tab to the shader list tab inside of geo control, in there should be a export tab for you color maps. It will save as a 24bit/8bit per channel color bitmap. Use a height field adjust operator after you import your terrain as you may have to make it taller somewhat to match what was originally the elevation in geo control.

mhaze

cheers folks someuseful stuff for me to experiment with

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on December 14, 2011, 11:58:40 AM
Ah, thanks Martin, I did wonder, I'm using v2, I think we're up to v2.3 now in WM.
Cheers
Richard

I think it has been fixed in either 2.15 or 2.2.
2.3 is in open beta now to registred users.

Do you have it? :)

mhaze

thnks for the advice ChrisC but I still can@t get the maps to quite line.

Tangled-Universe

The heightfield load operator which contains your loaded GC2 terrain should show you the size of the loaded terrain.
That operator is connect to a heightfield shader and should show you the coordinates at which the terrain is placed.
By default this is 0,0,0 at the lower left of the terrain.

Create an imagemap shader and set it's position to the same coordinates as the heightfield shader, so 0,0,0 and lower left in this case.
For size enter the value in metres as shown in the heightfield operator.

Now they should align perfectly.

mhaze

Cheers TU a more refined version of the method I've just got working - yours should be more accurate though ;D