DOF or focus control?

Started by digitalis99, February 03, 2012, 11:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalis99

I've seen it mentioned a few times here that in-app DOF and/or focus control are in the list of features that TG2 will have.  Last I found, at least, was a mention 2 years ago saying it was in alpha.  Is this due to be released in 2.4?  Is 2.4 coming this year?    ;D:o

If not, what are the requirements for being part of the alpha/beta builds?  I'm an IT guy by trade, and have beta tested lots and lots of products.
Pixel Plow :: Render Endlessly :: http://www.pixelplow.net

Tangled-Universe

The DOF is in the current alpha versions, yes.
The reason it's not in the current public builds is that it's still in development.

I don't know whether it will be in 2.4 or not, nor do I know anything about a specific release-date for 2.4 other than it will be this year ;)

Oshyan is usually the right person to answer these questions, also about joining the test team.

Cheers,
Martin

Oshyan

DoF will not be in 2.4. It was added in a fairly simplistic way and, due to heavy work on other features for animation and other areas, we have not been able to address some of its shortcomings. That being said Depth Buffer output will be available in a release this year (not 2.4), so at least you'd be able to do manual DoF based on a depth buffer, much simpler and faster than current workarounds of using a Distance Shader.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Oshyan is there any hope of Multithreading in the 3D preview in this or the near releases ?  :)

Oshyan

2.4 will not include a multithreaded preview. It's something we do intend to do in the future at some point, but we have no specific release target for it as yet.

- Oshyan

Red Eyed Jedi

How about a multi-threaded "Populate All" feature for those with large numbers of populations?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Red Eyed Jedi on February 07, 2012, 07:19:31 AM
How about a multi-threaded "Populate All" feature for those with large numbers of populations?

That has been requested several times before here on these forums, but also on the testers forum I can confirm.
They are aware of this request, but I can't say how it is prioritized. If it's up to me it's in the top 10.

penboack

Quote from: Oshyan on February 05, 2012, 09:10:31 PM
2.4 will not include a multithreaded preview. It's something we do intend to do in the future at some point, but we have no specific release target for it as yet.

- Oshyan

Just to clarify, is the preference "Startup > Preferred Number of Cores" the number of cores used for rendering?

If you implement multithreading for interactive render preview it would be useful to be able to have a preference for setting the number of cores used for the interactive preview independently from the number of cores used for quick and full renders. There would then be to preferences in place of the existing single preference, one called "preferred number of cores interactive preview" and the existing preference renamed to "preferred number of course render" for viewport multithreaded preview.

jo

Hi,

Quote from: penboack on February 09, 2012, 04:14:51 AM
Just to clarify, is the preference "Startup > Preferred Number of Cores" the number of cores used for rendering?

The preference is documented here:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2798

It overrides the numbers of cores that TG2 detects when it starts up. That may be used for rendering, although you can still change things using the settings in the Render node.

Note that the information regarding Hyperthreading on the page mentioned above isn't really relevant now. I will update it at some point.

If you implement multithreading for interactive render preview it would be useful to be able to have a preference for setting the number of cores used for the interactive preview independently from the number of cores used for quick and full renders. There would then be to preferences in place of the existing single preference, one called "preferred number of cores interactive preview" and the existing preference renamed to "preferred number of course render" for viewport multithreaded preview.

We probably would do something like that, although by default we might use half the number or cores detected.

Regards,

Jo

pixelpusher636

Quote from: jo on February 09, 2012, 05:26:11 AMHi,

Quote from: penboack on February 09, 2012, 04:14:51 AMJust to clarify, is the preference "Startup > Preferred Number of Cores" the number of cores used for rendering?

It overrides the numbers of cores that TG2 detects when it starts up. That may be used for rendering, although you can still change things using the settings in the Render node.

Note that the information regarding Hyperthreading on the page mentioned above isn't really relevant now. I will update it at some point.

Quote from: undefinedIf you implement multithreading for interactive render preview it would be useful to be able to have a preference for setting the number of cores used for the interactive preview independently from the number of cores used for quick and full renders. There would then be to preferences in place of the existing single preference, one called "preferred number of cores interactive preview" and the existing preference renamed to "preferred number of course render" for viewport multithreaded preview.

We probably would do something like that, although by default we might use half the number or cores detected.

Regards,

Jo

Why do so many links in these forums including from Planetside staff open up the homepage of Planetside? It happens a lot. Not judging, just asking out of general curiosity/annoyance. 
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Kadri

After the last server change i think some (most?) older links are broken.
It worked sometimes when i copied the link beginning with "index" and the rest to the new link (not sure).
But here it didn't work. Somebody who knows this might say something.

WAS

The new version of the forums uses a short URL system through htaccess. However, there should be a new entry written for the way the forums work now.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2798 Should be something like https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,2798.html

But that topic seems to have been actually removed.

Kadri

Quote from: pixelpusher636 on April 10, 2021, 11:36:01 PM
Quote from: jo on February 09, 2012, 05:26:11 AMHi,

Quote from: penboack on February 09, 2012, 04:14:51 AMJust to clarify, is the preference "Startup > Preferred Number of Cores" the number of cores used for rendering?

Quote from: undefinedIf you implement multithreading for interactive render preview it would be useful to be able to have a preference for setting the number of cores used for the interactive preview independently from the number of cores used for quick and full renders. There would then be to preferences in place of the existing single preference, one called "preferred number of cores interactive preview" and the existing preference renamed to "preferred number of course render" for viewport multithreaded preview.

Regards,

Jo

Why do so many links in these forums including from Planetside staff open up the homepage of Planetside? It happens a lot. Not judging, just asking out of general curiosity/annoyance.

By the way just write outside the blue quoted part, then it is easier to read the post.

Dune

Yes, I often see the blue quotes, and think there's no reply. I think these quotes are added automatically from Mac users, isn't that right? I never get them automatically.