First Contact...?

Started by Kadri, April 26, 2012, 05:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Edit:The final version post is on the second page :

[attach=2]

The image attached below and the post is the old version and thread:

Looks a little too crowded...What do you think guys? Maybe one without clouds or less ones?
Although it is on the verge of finished in my mind . I spend too much time on this.
It begun as an image for the contest in the Terranuts forum(3 i think).

Zairyn Arsyn

ahoy there!

i like this render.
the clouds seem a bit noisy / grainy to me

what AA/AA filter did you use?

i like the big spacecraft in the sky mid foreground, maybe move it up to a higher altitude, a little farther way perhaps?
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Kadri

Thanks Zaai :)

I will try one more render. Will see how it comes out .

Detail 07 , AA was 5 with Narrow Cubic i think .

Henry Blewer

At first I thought the clouds were much too sharp. Then I noticed the chrome crystal structures. Nice render. I'm more partial to matte spaceships though.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

If you mean you like standard surfaced ships , i like them more too , Henry.

Here is kind of a very basic and very short story.
Crystal like aliens who find crystals on another world and think that they are living creatures too like themselves...at first.

If someone did no looked at this image from that aspect i think it makes sense (kinda) that the spaceships are crystal like too now.

Interestingly i did not see much crystal like or surfaced space ships so i thought why not?

TheBadger

Its interesting Kadri. I would like to know what the people look like.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I searched but found nothing much except the crystal scull aliens and they do not mean much to me unfortunately  :)

Then this came to my mind. Not exactly the same but i liked the world-star :)
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/N/neutronstarlife.html
From the "Dragon's Egg" by Robert L. Forward .

nbk2

Mr_Lamppost

I likr the chrome/crystal ship but agree that over all the image is a little cluttered.  What about a view from a point closer to the ground looking up at and making a more obvious focal point of the ship? 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Kadri

Thanks guys!

The problem for me is that i liked the surface first. The clouds and ships came after the surface .
But i liked them too. Now i can not decide easily what to do.
And you would be surprised if you saw how much the scene changed from the beginning.
I think there are others too that share the same kind of work style probably ;)
Here are two examples of the early state of the very same scene .

Maybe i should eliminate all the spaceships etc :)

jamfull

Beautiful. Shame about the broken terrain.

James

Kadri

Thanks James!
As i tried to fix it it turned more and more into the first one :)
This is something i like in TG2 . You begin to make something you have in your mind ,
but on the way you get so much surprises the finished image turns out to be completely different.
In Lightwave for example the image does not change much when i work.

Zairyn Arsyn

nice renders Kadri, on this monitor i'm using they look a little darker, but also a little more photorealistic ;)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBadger

Image two and three have a lot to like, Kadri. I love the color and simple sky of the setting sun, and the sky of the other one is beautiful too.
What I like best it the terrain. not the rocks them selves, but the flatish top with all the deep crevices (gorges). can you instruct on how you did this? It looks like you got TG to reverse what it normally does, That is, got the hills to invert- or something.
It has been eaten.