Moon and Asteroids

Started by freelancah, May 08, 2012, 11:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freelancah

Ive gotten several requests to share an older work I made some time ago.. Terragen has gotten several updates since I made it, I thought it would be fun to re-make the whole thing into a new
version..

scene file here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14513.new#new

dandelO

You've given me a great hint on procedural crater generation, Freelancah! I've been trying to make some but I've been stuck on how to make the voronoi cells round. This method is basically just like blowing out the white colour of the function and just re-adjusting the low colour, it's just went right by me. It's great, one simple function can be followed by a couple of transform shaders at half and quarter scale and it gives a good variety in size and also appears nice and random. I've been trying to make things really more complicated than they need to be, as usual.

Cheers! :)

freelancah

The transform shader is a very good idea, must test that out now! Also for anyone else attempting this, note that the "get position from geometry" needs to be swapped to "get position from texture" for transforms to work

edit: also its probably a good idea to play with the values of the voronoi vector scales. When there is a difference in the values the scales change a bit

dandelO

Yup. I actually wondered why you'd used get position in geometry.
After having a look at your .tgd I tried it myself using a single Voronoi network(I think you've got a bit more complicated functions going on than that though) to create 250 metre cells, using that plus its own rescaled transforms is perfect for a crater outline. Adding a rim is a bit more work but it's really what this method is missing, I'll play around with it again later too. Thanks again for the enlightenment! :)

freelancah

I have an idea how to make a rim..be right back..

Seth

dandelO

Quote from: freelancah on May 08, 2012, 06:30:31 PM
I have an idea how to make a rim..be right back..

Hee hee, me to...

freelancah

It's currently kinda problematic but it seems possible

freelancah

forgot the last one

dandelO

Bingo! Nice one. Break up that last one with some fractal and it's all there.

freelancah

Here's the clipfile.. It's definitely not the only way but just happened to be the first one I tested :P

Erwin0265

QuoteHee hee, me to...

Like little kiddies in the Terragen Lolly Shop............................. ;D

Thanks again, Freelancah...............

DandelO - did you have another idea regarding the crater rim?
OK, who farted?

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

FrankB

excellent image, Freelancah