Started by Hannes, May 26, 2012, 05:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

In this thread:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=9321.msg128311#msg128311
Matt explained you should use the following settings for animations:

For animations:

In the Render Subdiv Settings node:

Fully adaptive OFF, but there may be side effects. OFF may reduce detail unsatisfactorily in some places or put needless detail in others, but if you need absolutely pop-free animation it might need to be OFF in current versions.
Force all edges ON
Jitter shading points OFF
Stabilise ray detail in motion ON (if you have v2.4 alpha)

When I use these and hit the animation check button I get the message I've attached as an image. This is quite confusing. Maybe Matt can take care of that?

Matt

Hi Hannes,

That is quite confusing. The Animation Check button aims to set Fully Adaptive, Force All Edges and Jitter Shading points to the values you quoted me saying. (It allows different values for Stabilise ray detail in motion.) I don't know why it still gives you that message if you set them like that. Do you still have the .TGD so I can test here?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Could there be more than one Render Subdiv Settings node? Maybe the nodes overlap in the network view so you don't see them? Also you need to know that the Render Subdiv Settings node needs to be inside the renderer's internal network, and there can only be one per render node.

If the Animation Check thinks your settings are wrong, then it's not finding your Render Subdiv Settings node for some reason.

Hannes

Hi Matt, yes, there may be more than one Render Subdiv Settings node, because I get the warning at the beginning of a render session. When I wanted to set the values inside like you recommended there was no Render Subdiv Settings node visible inside the renderer's internal network. So I copied one from another file like someone said in another post (as far as I remember). The file seems to accept the new settings, because all the shadow popping I had before I made these changes are gone.
So this seems to be the reason for the message in the animation check box. But why couldn't I find the original Render Subdiv Settings node? It seemed to be hidden somewhere...
I attached the file without objects and so on. You can see that there is Render subdiv settings 01_1, but the original one was and is not visible. It must be somewhere, because TG warns me before renderering that there can only be one of these nodes.

Matt

It is hidden behind the Render GI Settings node. This can happen sometimes with nodes that are created automatically by Terragen, and we'll fix this in future.

You can also see a hierarchical list of all nodes in the project by clicking on the Node Network Layout button at the very top right of the main window.

If you already have a node in there, e.g. the one you pasted in, the Animation Check button should not create a new one. It should be OK with the settings you pasted in. So I'm not sure what happened here. The only way I can explain it is that you copied your node in *after* you did a render in 2.4 or pressed the Animation Check button. Either of those actions (rendering or pressing the button) will create a Render Subdiv Settings node, but only if there isn't one there already. The Animation Check button will look at the same node it will use for rendering, so with the current settings I would expect you'll still see popping. Deleting the other node that was hidden should fix that.

Matt

Hannes

Ah, there it is. Thanks for your detailed explanation, Matt. Yes, I realized that there is some popping left. Anyway, now I know where to search.