USGS & "Earth Explorer" for TG2

Started by TheBadger, August 09, 2012, 03:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello

Today I read RArchers tut on how to use satellite data in TG2 I was surprised that both the tut and TG2 are easy to use in this regard. Before reading the tut I just glanced through it and it looked really complex. But not so. The problems I ran into is with the websites for getting the data in the first place.
http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html
http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
I find this use of TG2 very interesting, and want to put the methods in my "tool box". But I need some help with the sites.

With the USGS, the problem is the web sites have changed dramatically from the time RArcher made the tuts. And perhaps the data formats too?
I was able to get the site to generate a download to use, but when I un-ziped the data there was nothing in it TG could open.
Could some one who is familiar with the USGS site and TG2 please talk me through the changes in the download process from the tut?
http://www.archer-designs.com/tutorials/usgs-elevaton-data-with-terragen-2/

earthexplorer is I think a much easier site to navigate, and to select the area of interest. But I could not figure out what files to take. I tried "Elevation" and "DEM" type. And I got a .tiff in the download. But the image was 100% black. Also I don't think that the file was of the area I tried to select from the map. TG2 did open the files though.
Can someone check out the site and talk me through the correct process for getting the right files, of the desired area, for use in TG2?

I know there has been other disscusion on this general subject. If I have asked questions that have already been answered, could you please post a link.

Thank you much.
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

Hmm, the process seems relatively simple but it has changed since Ryan's tutorial. Here are the steps I just took to download a section of the Grand Canyon.

0/ Create an account (free)
1/ Clicked on your Link http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
2/ Typed in Grand Canyon in the Address Coordinates box and pressed "show"
3/ This reveals a link just bellow that when clicked places a Google pin on the map.
4/ Zoom into the area indicated. (+- buttons just like google maps)
5/ Press Clear coordinates and use the Cross hair cursor to draw out a rough box about the Grand Canyon area I want to examine. This will show up as a red box.
6/ At the bottom of the screen on the left press the button "Data Sets"
7/ From the  drop sown menu select Digital Elevation and then "Aster Global Dem"
8/ At the bottom of the page click on "Results"
9/ You will now be presented with a visual list showing the products that fall within your search criteria. Mouse over the row of 6 icons top see their meanings.
10/ Click on the download link and agree to the t&c.
11/ Download the zipped file.

Here's the interesting bit.

If you open the downloaded geotiff (it's got a normal tif extension) in Photoshop it will likely be plane black or white. You'll also notice it's a 16bit image. To see any detail play with the Levels and Exposure settings. I would advise doing as little as possible in Photoshop as when/if you save the file you can loose some of the meta data. If however you have Global Mapper you can see the file properly and combine it with other elevation maps and crop it. There's a free demo on the Global Mapper site.

When you open the file ion TG use the "Heightfield load" node and after it place a "re-size terrain" to your desired size (in metres)

Hope this helps

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

RArcher

I'll see what I can do to get the tutorial updated to reflect the new website in the next few days.  This is the site I would use to download stuff now:  http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

For the elevation data in the US you want to either get the NED 1/3 data or if available the NED 1/9 data.

TheBadger

@Richard,
I did do it right the first time,thank you for confirming the steps. I just could not be sure.
But I would probably never guessed to play with the resulting file in photoshop. That bit you wrote was very helpful!  8)

I got the file into TG and can now take a look at how all this works!

@RArcher,
Thanks for making the tut! It was much easier to follow than I thought it was going to be.
Can you tell me why the USGS site you recommend is better than the nasa site discussed in this thread? Is the data or resulting file different? I did notice that the link you posted here has less restrictions on the data than the earthexplorer site.
It has been eaten.

RArcher

From Earth Explorer you can get Aster Global DEM, GMTED2010, and SRTM Elevation Data.  These are all global DEM data sets.  The data you can get from  http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/  is far more detailed for the United States with the resolution getting down to 1/9 arc seconds as opposed to the SRTM data which is at either 1 arc second (approx 30m/pixel) for the US or 3 arc seconds (approx 90m/pixel) worldwide.

TheBadger

Hello.

After reading RArchers explanation of why the one site is better than the other I decided to try the recommended service again.

The problem I again found is that the data I get from the download looks like it is not usable in TG.

Here is a screen grab of the first set of selections. You can see what I clicked.

[attach=1]

Here is the next page

[attach=2]

The resulting download was 481.1MB
The file contained the following file types;
.htm, .txt, .dbf, .shp, .prj, .shx, .doc, .dat, .nit, and some others.

Clearly at 481MB I got some data. but not the right stuff as far as I know. I'm obviously making the wrong selections, but what are the right ones?

Sorry to be so simple, but this stuff is as new to me as a new born baby.
Thanks guys.
It has been eaten.

RArcher

If the zip file you downloaded did not contain a .tif file then make sure you download the selection that is not prepackaged for ArcGrid or Float.  I just downloaded a small tile and it worked as expected.

TheBadger

Quote from: RArcher on August 10, 2012, 06:06:13 PM
If the zip file you downloaded did not contain a .tif file then make sure you download the selection that is not prepackaged for ArcGrid or Float...

Thank you.

Cyphyr
QuoteWhen you open the file ion TG use the "Heightfield load" node and after it place a "re-size terrain" to your desired size (in metres)
I thought I understood this when I first read it but...
You are saying that the .tiff from the download does not come into TG2 at the right size, yes?
After creating the "Resize Node" I could not be sure where to plug it in. I Tried every input option. Some would not except the node. And where I could get it plugged in, it made no effect regardless of the values I entered.
Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

It has been eaten.

cyphyr

Try this (see attached) sorry not in front of main pc
Terragen will assume 1 pixel equals 1 metre unless otherwise specified.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

RArcher

If you are using real world data then there is no reason to resize anything.  That sort of goes against the whole reason of using real world data in the first place.  As long as you are using properly georeferenced data then it will be imported at the correct size and height range.

cyphyr

I know it should work but often I have found, especially after combining/exporting from Global Mapper that the terrains come in way too small. For example I just downloaded a random AsterDEM (ASTGTM2_N44W101_dem.tif) which is an 80km square. On loading into TG (after exporting from global mapper) it loads as an 3600m x 3600m square.
I had to take it through Global mapper because the Terragen says on loading "Please convert to SGI for non standard Bit depths". Maybe I'm loosing some meta data in the conversion although GM still loads both old and new files at the same size.
Agreed if your data is PROPERLY geo- referenced then this "should" not be an issue.
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

rcallicotte

RArcher, I cannot access the website.  Is the URL correct?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBadger

As of right now, all of the links on this page are working for me.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

I have to say that I have had to re-size everything too. I am going to look and see if global mapper is available on mac. In the end I like being able to abstract the maps. But I would really like to see them come into TG correctly first.

By the way guys, thanks for helping to understand all of this. Its really very nice of both of you! :)

*EDIT*
Just checked. global mapper is not on mac, and is not currently free. Though there is a trial version.
It has been eaten.

jo

Hi Richard,

Quote from: cyphyr on August 11, 2012, 01:26:35 PM
I know it should work but often I have found, especially after combining/exporting from Global Mapper that the terrains come in way too small. For example I just downloaded a random AsterDEM (ASTGTM2_N44W101_dem.tif) which is an 80km square. On loading into TG (after exporting from global mapper) it loads as an 3600m x 3600m square.

Looking at your screenshot the terrain isn't georeferenced. TG2 reads the georeferencing for TIFFs from a .tfw file with the same name as the .tif and in the same folder.

Regards,

Jo