Ponte Salario

Started by Dune, October 09, 2012, 07:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

Yes I was going to suggest making the color of the rocks match the bridge more or less (or the other way around). IMHO, the foreground including the road is superb. I am not so enamored with the rock density in the farther distance, it seems overdone. Vegetation should be taking over more, especially in the flat areas. I am also not that sure about the cypresses, I actually liked it more without them. How the heck do you get it so sharp without appearing pixelated?

Oh and how about some dead stuff? Unless the town folk have been very busy gathering and cutting firewood :)

Dune

Maybe you're right about the rock density further away. If they were really big outcrops instead of a heap of loose rocks, it would be ok, I guess. Maybe I'll have the overgrown by moss/grass, or do some big heaps, or reduce density. I also agree with you about the cypresses, I was in doubt about them. They áre really Italian, but ok. And some dead stuff would be very good, indeed.

The sharpness just comes from the straight bmp + sharpening in Irfanview, which is crude and simple, but sometimes actually works out fine. I usually do sharpening more controlled in PS.

Dune

Not finished yet. I found that some trees are good for a distance but up close show flaws. Have to replace them. The 2 crops show a difference, don't they? Or not?

Dune

Not so enthusiastic guys! Or are you all on vacation? I hope I'm not boring you, but here's another (one before final) iteration. I made a hollowed stump and a road sign, changed the stone colors, and the oaks (but they will have roots in the final), and the final will have more bleached dead grass, not so green. Maybe I re-add the ivy on the bridge, have to check in a crop. And then it's time for something simpler  :P

Oshyan

Looking very nice indeed. A lot of great variety and detail here. Personally I think a little bit of ivy would be good, but just a bit.

- Oshyan

masonspappy

BEautiful image.  I also like the detail and variation. I have a special appreciation of nature's randomness and you've nail that here.

j meyer

As for the 2 crops the most noticable difference to me would be the shadow
brightness,but I'm not sure if that has to do with AA at all.Not of much help,
sorry.
The inside of the small lower arch looks strange/wierd somehow.

otakar

Quote from: j meyer on October 17, 2012, 01:04:04 PM
The inside of the small lower arch looks strange/wierd somehow.
Agree. Mapping issue perhaps?

You are mostly there already. Maybe some color patches on the grassy areas (patches of flowers) to break up the green carpet a bit, but that's all I can suggest. The dead trees work well here. The bridge now seems to fit in well. How big are you planning to render this?

inkydigit

Quote from: Dune on October 16, 2012, 03:40:34 AM
Not finished yet. I found that some trees are good for a distance but up close show flaws. Have to replace them. The 2 crops show a difference, don't they? Or not?
the first one is a 'bit' sharper and has 'lighter' shadows...

inkydigit

Quote from: Dune on October 17, 2012, 03:50:51 AM
Not so enthusiastic guys! Or are you all on vacation? I hope I'm not boring you, but here's another (one before final) iteration. I made a hollowed stump and a road sign, changed the stone colors, and the oaks (but they will have roots in the final), and the final will have more bleached dead grass, not so green. Maybe I re-add the ivy on the bridge, have to check in a crop. And then it's time for something simpler  :P
I want to be there heading up the road into the valley ahead...
a beautiful, intriguing scene... love this already!
:)

fleetwood

Looking very nice and the bridge now seems quite indigenous. The greenness of the scene could really
set off any flashes of contrasting color if you wished to add a touch here and there as the painter did with the red dress etc.

mhaze

Coming along well.  Nice golden 1/2 hour lighting but I find the rocks too big and some of the greens too bright.

Dune

Thanks, that's comment I can work with. The smaller arch is half closed by an old door, you sometimes see that on pictures, I think it's even on the reference. But I'll give the wood a darker hue. I will make some new ivy as these are too loose, and therefore a bit weird. I also have to refine some dead trees, as they look shitty when rendered large.
Two crops at 5000px wide, no soft shadows. I think I'll render at about that size when I'm done. The thing with these projects is that I can render so many views and lighting angles and circumstances.... hard to choose. More misty, less misty, higher sun. really low sun, from right or left... AAAARGH.

Hetzen

Really good Ulco. I agree that the rocks are a little large, and understand your frustration at deciding which way to go with scenes. That bridge model has some really nice texturing. One small comment would be to try and distort that balcony and roof, they look a little square, but that's a minor criticism in the grand scheme of things.

Dune

Good to hear from you, Jon. I might try to distort the balcony, but it's already textured, so I'm a bit reluctant making more polys again. See if I don't mess up, still a bit unsure about modeling.
I agree about the rocks, but I kind of like them. I might make some the larger ones really large (x5) to act as stone outcrops, where the grass hasn't got got a grip. Well, you can work forever on something like this, but I wanna get on to something else again....

Here you can see those really ugly dead trees, which I will replace, and the ivy that's too loose.