CGScenery.com - a Terragen 2 tutorial website

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 04, 2012, 06:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

This is a great idea. Good luck pulling it all together!

choronr

It's a detail conscious guy like yourself who will put together a wonderful encyclopedia for learning computer graphics with Terragen 2 ...looking forward!

Tangled-Universe

Thank you all so far for the positive feedback :)

At the moment I'm writing transcripts and doing a little practicing for the tutorials.

My intention is to launch the website this year.

@ TheBadger:
I'm happy I'm one step ahead of you then :P

Quote from: Bjur on December 04, 2012, 01:48:38 PM
All the best to your project, it sounds very good!

Just try to keep it all simple as possible. During my reverse engineerings, i´ve faced some so weird "node explosions", my nose started to bleed instantly..  ;D

Don't worry for now. Complex node networks can evolve if you especially have a good understanding of the node network (flow).
Especially the first handful of tutorials are very basic and it is my intention to build it up step wise.

Cheers,
Martin

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Hetzen

claytonr

Eventually, you should also try to do a tutorial on how to make a big sun wit Terragen 2 like you see in a lot of renders all over the internet but hardly any tutorials. There are a lot of people I know that want to know how to make renders like those ones.

Either way, this site looks like it's going to be fantastic. :-)

efflux

I have an idea for something that needs done. A run through of all the tweaks in the powerfractal. Possibly renders of what the effect is. I've put files around that have deliberately basic settings because I've tried to show certain graph effects. The art is then tweaking the fractals to have more interesting forms. I think a full run through of this simple starting point is currently lacking.

bobbystahr

good news...great logo...can't wait...well done
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: claytonr on December 06, 2012, 08:25:56 PM
Eventually, you should also try to do a tutorial on how to make a big sun wit Terragen 2 like you see in a lot of renders all over the internet but hardly any tutorials. There are a lot of people I know that want to know how to make renders like those ones.

Either way, this site looks like it's going to be fantastic. :-)

Thanks Clayton. Eventually tutorials for "minor" subjects like these will be added too. I have about a dozen in my head of those.
First I will start with the basics of TG2 so that everybody can start scene building as quickly as possible.
I consider this the most important (missing information).
At a later stage definitely tricks and how to's will be added.

Quote from: efflux on December 06, 2012, 09:37:55 PM
I have an idea for something that needs done. A run through of all the tweaks in the powerfractal. Possibly renders of what the effect is. I've put files around that have deliberately basic settings because I've tried to show certain graph effects. The art is then tweaking the fractals to have more interesting forms. I think a full run through of this simple starting point is currently lacking.

It's in my list of tutorials, and actually at a pretty high position. I do have a little problem though.
I need help from Matt with this, because especially in the tweak tab there are some parameters I can't really explain well.
For instance, but I do *not* want to deviate the discussion towards this, the bouyancy and clumping parameters are not effective in all modulation modes and I can't tell exactly how noise variation works for every specific modulation mode.

I write transcripts for my tutorials so I'm considering asking Matt to go through the transcript for the powerfractal.
It's an essential node I reckon.

efflux

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 07, 2012, 04:12:00 AM
It's in my list of tutorials, and actually at a pretty high position. I do have a little problem though.
I need help from Matt with this, because especially in the tweak tab there are some parameters I can't really explain well.
For instance, but I do *not* want to deviate the discussion towards this, the bouyancy and clumping parameters are not effective in all modulation modes and I can't tell exactly how noise variation works for every specific modulation mode.

I write transcripts for my tutorials so I'm considering asking Matt to go through the transcript for the powerfractal.
It's an essential node I reckon.

Yeah, tell me about it. This should have been priority from square one. I'm not totally familiar either with the way these things work. I think it's a priority though so cool if you can deal with this. I'm doing stuff where nodes are doing specific things and I want to show that without getting artistic with the fractals and obscuring what is going on. I feel people (especially new users) have problems quickly designing cooler shapes. I don't want to provide ready made files too much. I want to concentrate on dealing with technical details that others can add their own slant to.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

rcallicotte

Brilliant. Can't wait.  Will put this URL everywhere I can, once you're up and running.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

blackcat

I, for one, am very much looking forward to this! I've been using Terragen since 2001 and I've been consistently frustrated by the lack of documentation (for goodness sake, World Machine has a better user's manual!). Since I use the program professionally, I can hardly imagine the time I've wasted trying to figure out something I should have been able to do in a few minutes. A series of tutorials that begins with a clear explanation of the interface and the program's functions would be a godsend.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Tangled-Universe

Hi Danny,

There's been quite some delay unfortunately, because of both fortunate as well as unfortunate conditions.
TerraLive took quite some of my TG2 focus and a significant part of december/early january I was sick.

Nonetheless it's still going to happen soon :)

Cheers,
Martin