CGScenery.com - a Terragen 2 tutorial website

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 04, 2012, 06:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

Sounds good Martin, these tutorials mentioned above are they going to be in video or in text form ? I think its now confirmed now, video tutorials are much more effective IMO. This will take up more realestate on your host site of course, however I think it would be more utilized if it were in video. Thats my 2 cents anyway, look forward to it either way
Cheers
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Tangled-Universe

No they will be in video. That has been my plan from the beginning. I think that's in my openings post of this topic(?).
I agree with you video is more effect. See one do is teach one.

TheBadger

Do you know what video player you will use Martin?

Some are really not well suited for Tutorials. But some let you pause, skip chapter points, and just smoothly move back and forth.
Maybe its the host server? But it seems like some players work much better than others. Or will we be able to download? That would be best, but I would understand why you would not want to do that.
It has been eaten.

DannyG

Video .. Nice ^^  I didn't see 'video' defined in the initial post. This is good news.  This is alot of work to set up, if  you are in need of some  assistance gettting set up I would be happy to help, shoot me a note if that is the case
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
I already kind of cursed at myself for not having this set up and running by now, so this will give an extra 'kick' :)

About the video player.

I was thinking of starting lazy and buying a subscription to Vimeo and embed the tutorials in HD in my website.
A free Vimeo account only allows SD videos to be embedded which I consider not suitable in terms of viewing quality and ideally I don't want people to leave my sites when accessing content.

I have quite some webspace though and unlimited traffic, so there's little reason to not use this other than figuring out which player etc.
Do you have suggestions of players which are "must haves"? Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Martin

Oshyan

For simple, straightforward video (i.e. no "chapters", etc.), something like JWPlayer, FlowPlayer, or Video.js. If you're using Wordpress for your site, there are existing video plugins available that would probably be easiest (e.g. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-video-gallery/ ), and no reason not to host on your own if you have the space and bandwidth allowance available.

If you want to have chapters or other aspects that are not just basic video playback, it gets more complicated.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Oshyan :)

My website is made with WordPress.
(First I tried with Joomla, but somehow I couldn't get my head wrapped around on how to get started and with WordPress everything fell in place right from the beginning....for me)

I'll have a look at your suggestions and make a decision soon :)

Cheers,
Martin

ajcgi

Another option to those that I use for convenience's sake is to upload the files to Vimeo and host them there, copying the necessary code back into your Wordpress page for each one. With Vimeo Pro you can even restrict it so that only you have the right to embed the videos and that way they're on your site and not on Vimeo.com as a free for all. ;)
Just my 50c but I found it way less hassle.

funkfather

Just a note from one of the far flung corners of the galaxy - Zimbabwe. Text tutorials would be super helpful for people who live in countries whose internet bandwidth is limited and erratic. Seeing as you are intending to write transcripts anyway, perhaps you could have a separate page where people could download the transcripts for the videos if they wanted to?

Looking forward to this whatever happens!

Tangled-Universe

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Quote from: funkfather on January 31, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
Just a note from one of the far flung corners of the galaxy - Zimbabwe. Text tutorials would be super helpful for people who live in countries whose internet bandwidth is limited and erratic. Seeing as you are intending to write transcripts anyway, perhaps you could have a separate page where people could download the transcripts for the videos if they wanted to?

Looking forward to this whatever happens!

I wasn't planning to do so, but I recognize the issues you would have with accessing the materials.
I'll see how I can fix this, as I indeed do write transcripts, but they're not 1:1 with the spoken words.
Also they don't contain descriptions about what I do and all the settings etc. etc.
So to make such a transcript really useful for non-video purposes would mean to convert the video into a lot of detailed text and I'm not sure if I feel up to that.

Let's see how things work out and I can always send you some text I work from and then see if you find it valuable.

Cheers,
Martin