Darth's Road Entry - Final

Started by Gannaingh, March 05, 2013, 01:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gannaingh

Here is my second go at a road. My first version was going to be a dirt road going through the desert, but that was boring so I've decided to do a paved road in the middle of a thick forest. More work to come.

TheBadger

Ha HA. Your still further than I am.
But I'm about to catch up!

Happy rendering Darth
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

It's a start :) I like the sweep of the road. Looking forward to seeing it forested.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

FrankB

Looking forward to it, too!

Gannaingh

Here is some work that I've done with the road. The cracks are intentionally deeper than in real life since they tend to be lost in the dappled shadow/sunlight that I plan to have covering the road. The next step should be some forest building.

Gannaingh

He is my first go with a forest surrounding the road. I want to get some god rays so I might have to mess with the tree distribution and sun elevation/heading. Plus the atmosphere is flatter than I like. More to come.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

FrankB

This shapes up nicely! But take care of the colours. They seem somewhat off here. Best compare meticulously with a good reference photo.

masonspappy

EVen with the colors slightly off, it's a decent image.  :)

Jo Kariboo

Very nice light and vegetation. Beautiful depth. Not certain for the colors.

otakar

Another great WIP. This competition is scary. I like this, but there is even more potential in here with the lighting as planned.

Gannaingh

Thanks for the insight everyone. Just when I thought I had the camera position finalized, I've now created a new one to get better rays. The coloring of the vegetation is vital to get the realism I want/need to stand a chance in this competition haha. Once I have the sun heading and model placement good to go I'll probably fine tune every texture on every plant in the image to try and get it as perfect as possible. There's lots of work ahead, fortunately it's fun work.

cyphyr

This is looking great, I don't have a problem with the greenish/bluish hue, I find it quite pleasing but it could be easily fixed in PS with a slight curves tweak.
I think there is still work to be done on the road edge, looks too sharp to me. The clean road/sharp markings don't sit well with the grasses growing through the road. Go for either a new or old road.
Keep em commin'
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Gannaingh

Here is the next version. I solved the blue lighting problem and it looks much better without me having to touch any of the textures. Getting the shadows lit up correctly is going to take some work and might be impossible to get it 100 percent accurate without insane render time...this is a competition so I probably should just suck it up to get it right haha. The car is just for a sense of scale at the moment and isn't going to be in any final-ish versions. More work ahead.

Tangled-Universe

Very nice!

Yes I agree with your remark about rendering it for the competition :P

You may find some useful information about lighting shadows in this very recent thread:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15800.0.html