Torro Lake

Started by Alexn007, March 06, 2013, 04:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexn007

This is my first post sharing a render.  I'm new to Terragen2 and wanted to share.  Feedback is appreciated... I think.  :-\  Thanks.

cyphyr

Very well put together, good view point and details.
How did you do the DOF may I ask?
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Alexn007

Thanks!
I couldn't figure out how to do it in Terragen, so I applied a slight blur on the distant mountains in Photoshop.  I wish I could have done it all in Terragen.

TerrMite

Totally agree with Cyphyr!

Like the colouring of the terrain a lot.

Cheers

ratfugel

Splendid stuff. Bravo!

rat.

Alexn007

Thanks, really appreciate all the nice comments!
Does anyone know if there's a way to control DOF in Terragen or any good tricks to achieve a similar result?

Dune

Nice first render, very nice actually. Though I'm not particularly fond of the distant blur. Would be better without it. If you try for a photographic rendering, a frontal blur would be more likely, IMO. But there are ways in TG. I don't know if the public release has inbuilt DOF, but with a distance shader and clever masking you can apply those rendered masks later in Photoshop. Try the search button... it must be on the forum somewhere.

Alexn007

Dune,
I totally agree with you.  I didn't realize I could pull a depth channel, that's great.  With that I could better control my DOF.  This will also allow me to give more of a feeling that the light is wrapping around the distant mountains and not just blur them out.

Really helpful.  Thanks,
-Alex

inkydigit

very good render!
love the painterly feel and light!
for the dof, try the attached tutorial by Marc Gebhart...
cheers
Jason
:)
(welcome to the forum btw!)

Alexn007

inkydigit,
Thanks for the tutorials link!  Look forward to checking it out.

Jo Kariboo

Nice and special light !  :)

TheBadger

blur/DOF is not necessary here.
Its a good wide shot of a fantasy scape. I feel like it should just be allowed to be what it is.

It has been eaten.

Alexn007

This is a version without the blur/dof.  I think what I disliked about this was the hard edges along the distant mountains.  I think the right look would have been to wrap the light over the edges, but I didn't set it up with mattes so I could put together in comp.  Learning a lot about terragen, and you guys have been a great help...  Thanks so much.

choronr

Very nice work here. I would suggest you try the soft filter option in Terragen 2.

Alexn007

Thanks!  That sounds pretty handy, I'll have to check it out.