Arid Red Cliffs - Scene available for download!

Started by Tangled-Universe, April 07, 2013, 03:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

For this one I used a World Machine 2 terrain as a base.
In TG2 I only added mild redirect shader displacements, 2 strata shaders and fake stones + about a half a dozen of surface layers.

Rendered with detail 0.8, AA8 with Catmull-Rom, GI 3/6/4, 64 atmo samples and of course soft shadows.

For postwork I went for something almost surreal and more artsy.

Cheers,
Martin

Zairyn Arsyn

amazing terrain work TU  :)
absolutely stunning

and did i mention its amazing? ;) ;D
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

yossam

Is there a hole in your terrain at about 4:00 o'clock ? I'm seeing a square blue shape. Hope it's not my eyes.......................................... :o

Tangled-Universe

Yes there are some artefacts, but I think I've fixed them by now...new render is on its way (somewhere tomorrow)

TheBadger

CRAZY! Never mind the little issues. The render is unbelievably real!
It has been eaten.

choronr

Outstanding terrain and details.

Walli

thats really a lot of detail, very well done!

Tangled-Universe

Cheers guys :)

I've rendered a new version with an extra compute terrain somewhere in the network which fixed the artefacts, but will have some effect on the rock-structures.

Now I'm rendering another version with a different type of intersect underlying which also fixes the issues, but will also affect the original look.
I think I'll post both to compare.

I hope I can remember how I did the postwork in Photoshop ;D

Cheers,
Martin

mhaze

Excellent render but I find the rock layers too linear, strangely mechanical or constructed.  Looking forward to seeing the updates.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Mick,

I like the linearity, in most places. I agree that in some spots it tends to look off.
I'll see what I can do about it. Have to think about how.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Cheers,
Martin

inkydigit

awaiting the update with baited breath!
:)
These look awesome!!  8)

zaxxon

Really nice, detailed work. What size settings are you using to export from World Machine? Looking forward to the next image.

DannyG

excellent WM integration. Nice one Martin
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

Indeed, some spots look very stretched, and there's a spot where the debris lies higher than the base rock (by the looks of it, anyway).

Tangled-Universe

I sense a trend lately towards less reading ;)

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15911.msg155061.html#msg155061
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15911.msg155104.html#msg155104

Both renders fixed the issue succesfully, but I can't get the same result with post-processing as the first image.
Hopefully I can post it soon. Need to document those steps in the future :-/

@Zaxxon: if I'm not mistaken this is a 4096px WM terrain, could be 2048 too, but since the erosion maps are 150MB BMP's I think it's a 4096 terrain.
I'll check.

Perhaps this scene is a nice goody to share on my website CGScenery.com? :)

Cheers,
Martin