Mudbox displacement maps in T2

Started by TheBadger, May 17, 2013, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

QuoteUlcos example is a cave and I'd guess the seethrough part is cheated in the usual way(transparency/opacity)somehow.
No, it was actual VDisp, nothing fancy.

efflux

Assuming Terragen 3 doesn't have the problem with importing objects that are previously described ( I don't know if that is the case but it seems like it). Then arches and holes would be created from imported objects. The more methods the better because Terragen should be able to act like a rendering environment for anything you want to import. I know dealing with objects in Terragen isn't easy but the more steps in this direction the better.

TheBadger

Quote from: j meyer on July 17, 2013, 11:18:52 AM
Quote from: TheBadger on July 17, 2013, 06:30:53 AM
Mhaze,
QuoteBadger I haven't been able to create holes
But both Chris and Ulco did. So we know it can be done. Right? (Chris used Z, and ulco used PS)

It is not possible to create real holes with VDisp!(as mentioned earlier in this thread)
Chris has created a cavern as you can clearly see when /if you load his exr.
Ulcos example is a cave and I'd guess the seethrough part is cheated in the usual
way(transparency/opacity)somehow.
And Ulcos arch is a sphere actually.
You can't displace a real hole into a closed surface(the TG planet)! No way!

T-U - what uv issues are you talking about?

AHHHHHHHH, you mean a hole through the plane/world! Duh! I thought you guys were talking about a hole in the ground like a pit  ;D ;D ;D Well I thought you were all crazy! I was like it is right in front of you! Sheeesh.

Ok, now that I finally got on the bus. What do you need to make a hole through the world for. I mean maybe I have a hole in my head. But I just never seen a hole through a planet before, so why want to make one? Just the tech involved or what?

Anyway, I know you can make a hole in the plane. But you would have to render the sculpt as an object. But why *may* someone want to do that?

On the arch, well, you don't need to make a "hole". There are a bunch of ways to sculpt up to form a bridge or an arch. On one of the previous pages I posted some images of bridges to Ulco. I know I can sculpt all of that in one mesh. Just do a little trickery is all.
It has been eaten.

j meyer

Arches,Michael,arches.

Ulco - I was talking about that one http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16154.msg158475.html#msg158475

If that is just VDisp and not cheated please explain.

TheBadger

^^
Sorry, I was editing while you were responding. A bad habit. But I didn't think anyone was on who would be posting here. My bad.
It has been eaten.

mhaze

Here's a quick zbrush arch imported and VDisp in TG

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

efflux

That arch is excellent because it blends in with the ground. It looks natural.

j meyer

Nice one mhaze.
Just to avoid more confusion,please mention again how it was done,so that new
readers can follow easily.

Tangled-Universe

Can I see the two separate sections meet at the top centre? It's a great arch nonetheless!

Dune

I was just about to say; they MUST meet somewhere. But it's nicely disguised. I know this can 'easily' be done with outside made maps, but I wish it were possible from within TG.

And @ Jochen: it is just VDISP (painted map), the light in the end of the cave is a light source, not light from 'the other side'. 

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on July 17, 2013, 02:21:44 PM
I was just about to say; they MUST meet somewhere. But it's nicely disguised. I know this can 'easily' be done with outside made maps, but I wish it were possible from within TG.

Yes indeed. I just mentioned that a couple of posts ago that it would be great if TG some day would have a voxel based system for iso surface terrains.

mhaze

Just two areas of displacement nudged over until they meet.  Will be better disguised with some TG displacement

TheBadger

QuoteAnyway, I know you can make a hole in the plane. But you would have to render the sculpt as an object. But why *may* someone want to do that?

You know, I have to take this back. You can make a hole and render it as a vector in terragen, I believe. Its just the hole cant be going down into the planet.

Here is how (maya mud)

1) Start in maya with a Maya plane.
2) build a bridge (low polly) in maya with both ends connected to the plane. So the base ends of the bridge extruded out from the plane. (you will have to add at least one, probably two smoothing levels in maya to do this)
3) "Send to Mudbox"
4) sculpt
5) continue as "normal"

See?

No need to "blend two ends. No need to sculpt up from nothing.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

I'm waiting in anticipation to see the result of that experiment Michael :)