The New apple desktop!

Started by TheBadger, June 10, 2013, 03:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Was I right or was I right.
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

Lush, I'll look forward to the pc imitations  :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

TheBadger

A pro workstation
4K video
40GB PCIe
12cores
2x faster floating point

60GB bandwidth
2X faster
Made with rendering in mind

"state-of-the-art AMD FirePro workstation-class GPU with up to 6GB of dedicated VRAM — it features two of them. With all that power, you'll be able to do things like seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background — and still have enough power to connect up to three high-resolution 4K displays."
GPU seven teraflops

"2.5 times faster than the fastest SATA-based solid-state drive and up to 10 times faster than a 7200-rpm SATA hard drive. Most flash storage systems connect via SATA buses designed for slower spinning hard drives. But we designed the new Mac Pro around new PCI Express-based flash controller technology to deliver the fastest solid-state drives available standard in a desktop computer."
PCIe Flash 1250MB/s

"Unified thermal core"

Future resistant expansion

Thunderbolt2 4k Resolution multiple monitors
HDMI 1.4

improved speed wireless

9.9in X 6.6in design

BUILT IN AMERICA!!!!!!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)!!!!!!!!!
It has been eaten.

efflux

How much is this going to cost? That would be my question. In particular, if you want a high powered graphics card. The graphics was a major fall down before because the Mac cards were way more expensive.

efflux

I must admit that the fan arrangement seems logical. Heat rises so fan should be on top. It's also physically small. Those older cases were far too cumbersome. It's going to cost a fortune though. That's almost guaranteed.

Tangled-Universe

What an awesome and totally unexpected design. And how small.

Now anyone who's going to reproduce something like this can be rightfully sued instead of sueing Samsung et al. over totally natural and logic design decisions which never should have been patented.
THIS, this is truly original and innovative design.

Spec-wise nothing special and all the performance improvements compared to the previous Mac Pro can be easily addressed to the natural development of the components through past years, virtually none of them developed by Apple self in terms of CPU, memory, SSD and GPU.
The previous (or current, still) is quite a few years old and of course at least 2x slower than this one to come. That has little to do with Apple.

Curious about pricing too!

TheBadger

I really hope its affordable  :-[ Otherwise lets give them the plant factory treatment!  ;D

Built in America may raise costs? Maybe they got deals though, I mean with states on taxes? They are building in Texas among others. But not in California, which is logical.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

QuoteHow much is this going to cost? That would be my question. In particular, if you want a high powered graphics card

I would like to know who is even building it. Is it completely Apple or the usual companies? Apple never built their own graphics cards before.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Also, what about the OS?

Will Planetside need to do a new version? Will All my soft run? ISO 7 comes out at the same time. This fall, probably between the start of the new college year, and Christmas.

This has been an exciting 8 days or so on these forums! Lots of stuff to think about and talk about. Thanks for that guys!
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

QuoteAnd an HDMI 1.4 port provides support for the latest televisions, projectors, and displays, including Ultra HD TVs.

A new apple TV coming too?

And what about 12 GB graphics cards, or rather 2 6GB graphics card standard? I have never seen a graphics card with 6 GB of memory. Has anyone?
It has been eaten.

efflux

It will be a huge price to begin with since it's so new and there will be a huge hype. There's not really anything like it. It will die down and maybe get cheaper later but then again there will be quite a small market for this machine. Mini's are a good deal because they are older hat and not hyped. Those aren't powerful for graphics stuff but pretty powerful little computers for most things.

Oshyan

Agree with T-U, the design is the only differentiator (hardware is honestly nothing special,), but the design *is* legitimately cool, much more so than I personally think almost any previous one has been. The G4 Cube was interesting previously, but this is not only beautiful but (theoretically) *functional*, which makes a big difference toward my respect for the design. It does seem quite intuitive and if it works as well as it seems it could, I do hope there are "cheap knock-offs". Yes, this may be worthy of some kind of design patent, but if all the various heat sink innovators out there haven't already patented their own stuff (which I would assume is not the case given how many similar models there are, even for "weird" designs), then I'm curious if Apple even can patent it...

Graphics cards are ATI, I believe. No of course Apple doesn't make their own graphics cards. They don't make their own *anything*. They have unique designs for enclosures, but not hardware components (e.g. graphics card, CPU, etc.).

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Yes I think that's correct if you'd ask me Oshyan, about the hardware.
However, I do not exclude the possibility that some of the hardware inside is adjusted to go along with this design.
I think that definitely includes the motherboard. Hence the angle at which the memory banks are positioned.
Perhaps they have also trimmed as much as possible from the ATi videocards.
Because how the beep do they cram all that stuff into that tube.

TheBadger

QuoteGraphics cards are ATI, I believe. No of course Apple doesn't make their own graphics cards. They don't make their own *anything*. They have unique designs for enclosures, but not hardware components (e.g. graphics card, CPU, etc.).

Yes. but i think if you read between the lines, then there is strong indication that efficiency is whats special here. The parts for this mac, will not fit or work in any other system. I expect that when using it with software there will be some nice surprises.

The design is so revolutionary, that it is impossible for me to not expect that (along with the OS) *using* this system will not be better (assuming everything works). In order for them to cram 12 GB of graphics cards standard, there must be a TON of optimization here.
The best pro cards I have seen shopping around never had more than 2-4GB and were huge. (cards are important to me because I use mudbox and maya as well as editing soft). So I agree with martins last post. There is more here than they are letting you see.

What I like is that all of the top versions of important components are standard.
Here is the keynote for the developers conference http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/ you can skip ahead to the subjects that interest you.

On the cost.
Being that it is made in the US (assembled and some parts machined) I would expect that this would raise the price. however really, the cost may be lowered do to tax breaks from states for bringing jobs (everyone wants to work for apple).
There is also a significant reduction in the need for raw materials, thus reducing costs.

In the end I don't think this will cost anymore than any tower before. And may even be a good amount less due to a number of other factors.

Its really about the OS though, right? either you love windows or you hate it. If you hate it your on a mac. Its probably no more complex than that for most people. Frankly, if the price is right, you will see a lot of people switching on the OS alone, as usual.

On the late 2009 tower I have I get pretty good results from TG2 now. Not to far off from some of you with better knowledge of comp systems. So even if I only get 2x faster in any category with the new system, that is frigging fast.
But I really expect that it will be more than that, in a number of areas. MUdbox will be a Dream.

Still, Ill wait to get too excited. Im still poor.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Probably I am going to put my money where my mouth is. Im not going to buy anything from apple until they explain there cooperation in spying on Americans.
They need to explain themselves. So do the other companies.

Enough is enough.
It has been eaten.