Terragen 3 examples (If you got some please feel free to post your example here)

Started by cyphyr, June 15, 2013, 04:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: ChrisC on June 15, 2013, 02:03:17 PM
The shadows and displacement details are quite impressive, not only does the terrain stand out more with a better impression of soil and rocks but the vegetation looks like it belongs more to the scenery as opposed to sticking out in a harsh manner where it all looked to sharp and almost as if it were floating on another layer. I noticed that the shadows seem softer as well without lacking the nice details. Overall, the terrain looks less plastic-like and more dry/matte-like.

and

Quote from: rcallicotte on June 15, 2013, 06:10:45 PM
@TU - Why do the bushes look fuzzier in the newer render?

The one on the right has higher AA values for rendering and thus looks "fuzzier". The idea was to make them look better ;D lol
Also the one on the right uses soft shadows, so Chris that might also be part of the more natural appearance.
All other lighting differences are due to a different GI solution because I can't get the same as 2 years ago from the left one, of course.

Bluestorm

These examples look absolutely stunning! I still need to find my way properly around version 2, though :)

rcallicotte

Thanks for the explanation, TU. 

I'm ready to try it myself.   :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

One of the announced features on the Terragen 3 website states:
- Significant performance enhancements for localized cloud rendering...

Here's a simple quick and dirty example, only using default settings, which already shows a 63% cut in rendertime!
In some occassions the speedup can be even much bigger. I'll hope to demonstrate that soon as well.

The difference in lighting is because I couldn't use a GI cache with this new method.
The difference in detail is noticeable, but can be compensated for by upping the cloudfractal's roughness a tiny bit.
As soon as the feature's tech is revealed it will be apparent how and why.

Stay tuned for more...

Oshyan

Seth

Tangled-Universe

That's a nice and certainly bizarre render Franck ;)
So what TG3 "thing" is it showing specifically?

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

How can you tell/see? :)

In my experience anything you render with render detail 0.7 and GI 2 isn't extremely different from using higher GI settings.
Higher GI settings than 2 looks better if you consider integration of objects into the scene, for example, but the effect is very subtle.
However, I can show you 3 versions of my Dutch Landscape (or pretty much any other) scene with GI 2, GI 3 and GI 4 and I'm pretty sure you can't tell which of the 3 uses the highest GI settings. Oshyan and I couldn't at least. It's so subtle :)

I know this one took quite a while to render so you're probably right Richard, quite sure of that actually, but I just don't think you can eyeball it from multiple images, let alone a single one.

cyphyr

Sorry I meant GI Surface details. I'm looking at the bounced (orange-ish) light on the vertical surfaces ...
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

efflux

Quote from: Seth on June 18, 2013, 09:15:12 AM
ok here is one of mine ;)

This one is really cool. Not sure if there is anything specific to Terragen 3 but it's a great render.