Terragen 3 release date and pre-purchase

Started by Oshyan, July 16, 2013, 03:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

How's this for a good rack to organize our drives for the extra render nodes?  Not trying to derail this thread, so Planetside - feel free to move this, if I am out of order.  Seems like some good deals.  Now all I need are some SATA dirves.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111045

http://www.directron.com/mracksatafull.html
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Jaf, it's not a technical issue. The $149 upgrade is a special price, it's simply not available during the pre-release period, just like a sale price is not always available. We decided to have a pre-release because we were getting so much interest in trying TG3 early, but if you can't pay the $199 price (or you just don't need the render nodes), the final release is just a couple weeks away. We certainly appreciate your patience.

- Oshyan

jaf

Oh, I can wait -- I don't have a choice.  I guess it's a way to take advantage of those who only want/need one node -- maybe they will give us the extra $50 because they don't want to wait.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

midnight.mangler

Quote from: jaf on July 19, 2013, 04:20:40 PM
Oh, I can wait -- I don't have a choice.  I guess it's a way to take advantage of those who only want/need one node -- maybe they will give us the extra $50 because they don't want to wait.

Come on dude. That's a bit harsh. Planetside hasn't kidnapped your kids and presumably you have some impulse control. ;-)

I think you underestimate how time consuming it is configuring the multitude of preorder possibilities in the online store when they are driving towards release. I would suggest you give them the benefit of the doubt.

Simius Strabus

Why stop dreaming when you wake up?

iMac i7 2.8GHz 8Gb

jaf

Quote from: midnight.mangler on July 20, 2013, 04:50:53 AM

Come on dude. That's a bit harsh. Planetside hasn't kidnapped your kids and presumably you have some impulse control. ;-)

I think you underestimate how time consuming it is configuring the multitude of preorder possibilities in the online store when they are driving towards release. I would suggest you give them the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think I'm underestimating anything.  They have an upgrade option for tg3 with extra nodes, so they have a list of who's eligible.  They've already set the pricing.  As Oshyan said, it's not a technical problem.  It doesn't take a week to add the last upgrade option.

That said, I still put Planetside at the top of my list for it product, support, and forums.  It just hit me the wrong way when I saw the statement that the $149 special wouldn't be available but I could spend $50 more to get it "right away".  :)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

TheBadger

^^ Yeah, I get what your saying. But technically we weren't supposed to have full access until the end of the month. So I am not getting bothered by any release issues until then.
The BIG promise is an official release at the end of the month. Any hiccups before then, I would think is normal?.. For a product roll out I mean.

I am not buying the early release anyway. I don't have the technical joy that so many others here have. Im going to just sit back until the final release version.  ;D
It has been eaten.

DannyG

I am organizing the library portion, for me this is first on my list. One question, as updates come in will the library contents and associated loaded/generated images carry over? As you know this takes many hours to set up, but so worth the time to do it, I just hope this is a one time deal
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

jo

Hi Danny,

Yes, we will do everything we can to ensure your library doesn't need to be set up again for future changes.

Regards,

Jo

RichTwo

I wish I could be all ga-ga like everyone else here over the release of TG3  but I just can't.  I've spent years, toil and tears and enough of my $$$ and accomplished close to nothing.  Yes, it's just me, but TG2 is still at the deep end of the pool of my understanding.  I see no reason for me to spend more $$$ to accomplish less than I already have.

I will say that The Planetside folks have done an extraordinary feat at giving us all a top-notch terrain (and everything else!) rendering program with TG2.  I'm sure 3 will be no less impressive.  I thank you all for your hard work and support over the many years I've been with you.

But I must now bid adieu.  Thank you again.
They're all wasted!

Matt

Quote from: Rich2 on July 20, 2013, 06:47:54 PM
I wish I could be all ga-ga like everyone else here over the release of TG3  but I just can't.  I've spent years, toil and tears and enough of my $$$ and accomplished close to nothing.  Yes, it's just me, but TG2 is still at the deep end of the pool of my understanding.  I see no reason for me to spend more $$$ to accomplish less than I already have.

I will say that The Planetside folks have done an extraordinary feat at giving us all a top-notch terrain (and everything else!) rendering program with TG2.  I'm sure 3 will be no less impressive.  I thank you all for your hard work and support over the many years I've been with you.

But I must now bid adieu.  Thank you again.

Hi Rich,

I'm sorry to hear that, but thanks for the kind words about the hard work and support, and thanks for supporting us during that time. Let me say this. Terragen is only going to get easier and more fun to use in future. We have a roadmap for Terragen that I think will open up Terragen to many more people and make the whole process of environment creation more direct and intuitive, as well as having a faster render engine. It will get back to the heart of what Terragen's purpose is, what its specialty is. With Terragen 3.0 we concentrated on adding features and addressing various shortcomings with Terragen 2, to make a much more rounded and useful product, and I believe many of these features make it easier to use as well. Future versions of Terragen will build on that base, but will cut through the workflow and make you think less about the process and just create more. Even Terragen 3.1 will have some new goodies that we haven't really spoken much about yet. I hope you'll drop in from time to time and keep on eye on what we're doing because it's going to be amazing :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mr_Lamppost

Ok, I've not been as regular in here as I used to be so the email announcing Terragen 3 was a complete surprise.  When I looked at the overview and saw the extended range of versions with Professional aimed at production studios I got a little worried. Then I found the upgrade pricing  ;D  :-*

The addition of the spherical camera makes upgrading a no brainer, the software that i was considering buying to simplify the process of converting six images to one covers half the upgrade price and I get all the other features as well.  I use the additional render nodes so no need to wait  :) other than for my upgrade key  ;)

A huge thumbs up to all at Planetside for keeping the upgrade pricing affordable. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

DannyG

Quote from: jo on July 20, 2013, 05:46:08 PM
Hi Danny,

Yes, we will do everything we can to ensure your library doesn't need to be set up again for future changes.

Regards,

Jo

Thks Jo thats great news, I hope you guys are able have this transfer. The library among all other updates are truly amazing IMHO. I like Matt's 2 cents above in regards to the future of Terragen, another reason why I am glad I upgraded. Thanks PS for the hard work that Rich touched on. Looking forward to the future
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

rcallicotte

AGREED!!!

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on July 21, 2013, 06:41:26 PM
A huge thumbs up to all at Planetside for keeping the upgrade pricing affordable.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBadger

QuoteEven Terragen 3.1 will have some new goodies that we haven't really spoken much about yet

:o :o :o :o its christmas in July!
It has been eaten.