The Last Desert River

Started by Dune, August 22, 2013, 08:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Another river.

dorianvan

Great composition Ulco; I love how he parked it in the shade.  8)
-Dorian

kaedorg

Very nice view. i like the stones and the different sand colors.
Only one question on scale : tree and boat at the size at the second right corner ? not sure it would be bettter, just an idea about scale.

great great job Ulco

David

EoinArmstrong

Love the river - too terrified to try one yet, though!

Dune

What do you mean, David, about size? It might be that the tug needs to be a bit smaller, I actually enlarged it from 5m to about double.

alessandro

Excellent image Dune, how did you 'accumulate' rocks along the river bed? Painted shader used as a mask perhaps?
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

bla bla 2

Transform shader ?? No ?  :) Cool image.

choronr

Very nice. I would like to see the surrounding surface with your sand ripples; also, maybe less waves in the river. In all, your composition invokes ideas ...thanks.

Kadri

Nice start as always Ulco.
I might prefer a vertical frame in this one.
Camera a little more to the right and just a little more detail would be enough for me.

kaedorg

Quote from: Dune on August 22, 2013, 12:38:06 PM
What do you mean, David, about size? It might be that the tug needs to be a bit smaller, I actually enlarged it from 5m to about double.

When i look at the river i feel that i could jump the river in the foreground (the stones add to this feeling) , so i feel that the tree and the ship are too small.
If i double the size then they would be too big on the view so i'd try on the second corner on right side. but with same  size on screen .

not sure it would work, maybe the result would be worst

David

TheBadger

^^ after reading the last post, I feel like I can see it too now.

How high in the air is the camera? I get the feeling its about my eye level.

Perhaps the image just needs more objects between the viewer and the ruins, to help clarify the real distance. Or are the object really as small as they feel?
It has been eaten.

Dune

You might be right, it's always good to have some fresh views. The camera is at 10m above ground, the tug is 9m, the palm tree indeed very small with 12m, the river (up front) is about 8m wide. I'll reconsider some sizes, and do another one.
Did you see the avocets? They give a sense of scale, but are not very obvious.

And the rocks were put in the river by using the river mask, with some color adjustments. This mask is a warped simple shape. Try out this simple shape guys, it's very important and useful, despite its name!

kaedorg

I must admit i didn't notice the avocets. they clearly give a sense of scale.
I won't jump anymore the river...

now it is a question of composition and how large you consider the river. With my previous suggestion, i would increase scale of the birds (like 3 times maybe more).

David

mhaze

I really like the concept but there is a lack of vegetation that gives it a too empty feel. I'm not sure about the dark rocks around the river perhaps there should be more out in the desert.

Dune

Consider it conceptual art, and not a real setting. I think you'll like this first one... I do.
I kept the birds as they are as they are on scale, but I added another palm tree of 20m and one of 25m, besides the 12m tree. Also changed the size of the rocks to 0.35 and 0.7m. Meshed up the boat, which worked quite nicely.