T-Gen new tree/plant generator for XSI

Started by JohnnyBoy, June 17, 2007, 01:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyBoy

I just noticed this on another site and thought the five or six people ;) who use XSI here would find it useful. There is a free version for non-commercial use that is pretty powerful.

http://www.simartom.com/

cyphyr

Looks impressive  ~  if you've got XSI
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

I've thought about going to XSI a number of times.  But, aren't these applications all the same?  Lightwave, XSI, MAX...  Any opinions?  I'm curious what people on this site think about the general application packages like these three listed here and others, if you have a strong opinion and some experience with anything else.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

JohnnyBoy

Calico, be careful or you might start a flame war. :( Basically everyone will tell you to use whatever they are using.
I'll try to give you my view of the apps.

3DSMax - Positives: It has everything but the kitchen sink - very powerful. Dominant in the games industry.
              Negatives: Sort of feels like your using twenty different apps, poorly designed. Expensive $3000+
Maya - Positives: I enjoyed using Maya, better design than Max, but still has just about everything. Dominant in the movies.
          Negatives: Could have a more coherent design, expensive $2500+  ??
XSI - Positives: The best design of any 3d application I have ever used, great animation ability and works well with other apps.          The $500 Foundation version is a steal.
        Negatives: Lack of plugins, smaller user base, lack of tutorials, and the particle system isn't the best.
Blender - A poor man's 3dsMax, many features but feels like 50 different apps. It's Free!

rcallicotte

JohnnyBoy, thanks!  This is more than I asked for, but wonderful.  I believe XSI sounds like something I'd like to learn, but have been "sticking it out" trying to learn Lightwave.  3DSMax seems like a well liked application and I just can't bring myself to pay that much yet.  Without a return, what's the point, unless we have a strong urge (and extra money) to just be creative.  Of course, I want to be creative, but I've tried Maya, LW, and a Max demo.  I liked the Max demo the best, but am curious about trying XSI.

I'm not worried about flame wars.  Just objective observations, if anyone is willing.   :D

Thanks again, JohnnyBoy.

BPauba

Quote from: calico on June 19, 2007, 11:09:39 AM
JohnnyBoy, thanks!  This is more than I asked for, but wonderful.  I believe XSI sounds like something I'd like to learn, but have been "sticking it out" trying to learn Lightwave.  3DSMax seems like a well liked application and I just can't bring myself to pay that much yet.  Without a return, what's the point, unless we have a strong urge (and extra money) to just be creative.  Of course, I want to be creative, but I've tried Maya, LW, and a Max demo.  I liked the Max demo the best, but am curious about trying XSI.

I'm not worried about flame wars.  Just objective observations, if anyone is willing.   :D

Thanks again, JohnnyBoy.

www.luxology.com

rcallicotte

Wow, BPauba, that looks impressive.  Have you tried it?  If so, how easy is it to learn?  What's your opinion?

Will

Its a good program, havent used it much myself though. Also to add to your numinous choices for doing various things I'll add Zbrush and Mudbox into the mix. They are high poly organic modelers that try to make it easy to "sculpt" your model using an almost clay like system. I haven't used Mudbox much outside the demo but it has a great UI and nice features. I most ly use Zbrush myself wand I like it, the UI has a semi-steep learning curve but their is a lot power behind it if you get use to it. In the end it all just comes down to what you work more naturally with.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Will, thanks.  I wonder what that means as I try various software and sometimes it isn't possible to try a package.  In cases where a demo doesn't exist, I think the company is just hurting themselves.  I've thought about ZBrush and then thought about the learning curve (time, mostly) and wonder what I would do with it once I began using it.  That's another area of discussion, isn't it - what to do with all of this?

Will

Blender has sculpting ability's now though you may want to try it.

Regards,

Will

Moose

Quote from: calico on June 19, 2007, 02:58:10 PM
I've thought about ZBrush and then thought about the learning curve (time, mostly) and wonder what I would do with it once I began using it.

Yeah ZBrush is pretty cool, inspite of it still doing everything it's way. The learning curve isn't so bad - just have to accept it's different and then get one of those Intro DVDs from Digital Tutors or Gnomon (now also Gnomonology) to fast-track things a bit. Tallent is another matter though :o. As to what to do with it in a TG2 context, well you could sculpt displacement maps for close-up land forms or hero objects like rocks, tree's, walls etc. There's now a 1 billion poly limit for objects in ZB so the detail should be pretty amazing when close-up (Exporting this detail as a disp map is still an unknown factor atm however, as Pixologic still have to release the plugin to make it all possible).

Another general-purpose app worth adding to your investigation list is Houdini. There's the free Apprentice edition of it - http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&task=apprentice&Itemid=89 - that you can use to learn on. It has few restrictions and is available to use indefinately. If you are interested I'd wait until after they release the next version (anytime now really, but definitely by Siggraph) as there is set to be a major UI and workflow revamp that is said to make it more artist-friendly. :)

Will

Yea hopefully Zmapper for 3.0 will come out soon. Houdini is a nice app, worth looking into. Though we will all have to wait till TG can handle all this.

Regards,

Will

rcallicotte

Thanks Moose.  I've added Houdini to programs to try.

BPauba

Quote from: calico on June 19, 2007, 02:45:16 PM
Wow, BPauba, that looks impressive.  Have you tried it?  If so, how easy is it to learn?  What's your opinion?
Oh buddy. I myself am looking for a modeling program and I have gone through alot of them. I was informed about modo by an old buddy, and I decided to try the trial version. (which is 30 days no limitation). Twas amazing. I did not have much time with the trial version due to vacation :D, but what I learned in the short 2 day span was amazing.
http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=05ss5.jpg
Now I know that is not a complex or astonishing model/render, but I feel its pretty good for my first render in the program! modo is so intuitive and so hands on. You will love it. I have to admit that I am not a 3d guy by any means. I am fluent in CAD and a couple of specialty programs such as inventor, but by no means do i know my way around a true 3d program (just to put my knowledge into context).

rcallicotte

BPauba,

Cool.  I think this might be valuable, since it can do a lot of different things.  I downloaded it and will get it going in the next few days.

I like the bowl.  Looks well formed and has a great texture.  Did you control what the texture looked like?