motte

Started by Dune, October 30, 2013, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

A study of history and details makes it right.

Dune

Update, but not right yet.

choronr

I like this one a lot, not only for the cloud shadows cast over the terrain; but also for the great details in the foreground. The ground surface is very good.

TheBadger

The tower makes a lot more sense to me in this context. Do a whole village Ulco!

I love your illustrative style, your very consistent. And I don't believe everything always has to be photo real. This has the look of a very high quality animated film. Once you learn to rig you can learn to animate. Then you can make little movies of these places you build. Would like to these places come alive.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Agree with Bob and Badger. Nicely done!

- Oshyan

Dune

But I want it photo real! This is of course not the highest quality render settings. By the way, the pallisade on the right is just a line of long stone objects, following a thin line. Works quite well, but probably won't hold up from up close.

otakar

Oh yeah, the latest one is freakishly awesome! The transition from grass to brown (dry?) ground is perhaps a bit too abrupt. Missing a bit of ground cover in that expanse, but I am sure you have a reason :)

Oshyan

Render settings are rarely the source of "photo quality" results. Much more I find it's to do with surface colors, scene detail (number of objects/populations and detail of them, for example), lighting, and atmosphere.

- Oshyan

Dune

So I'll have to experiment more with lighting etc. I was also just thinking that I needed to have the ground displacement depend on the colors as well, not merely a random bunch of nice colors and separate dispacements. The 'dry ground' is supposed to be heathland, interspersed with grasses in several varieties and states of being. It's too far from the camera and extensive to work with some millions of heath and grass objects, I suppose, so I need it procedural. Challenge.
The green grassy areas are supposed to be quite devoid of shrub, as the cows are eating it all away, but I've already made a map to get more gradients in it. It's a marshy area bordering the slightly dryer heathland. It's too hard surfaced, like the ditch around the farm.

Dune

Update again. Now the displacement at the front is too much.

choronr

Agree about the foreground displacement; but, the image as a whole is superb, especially what you've done with the dry areas blending into the green.

otakar

Yes, one of the greatest challenges for me is the transition from model based to procedural for small object populations (grass or small shrub sized) for scenes like this. Just getting the colors right is really tough. I think you are absolutely right on the displacement needing to be associated with the colors/textures to boost realism. What I would also suggest is that there is seldom an area of large trees and low grass only (even in pastures). There are plants that livestock will not eat, there are dead trees, thorny shrubs, rocks, etc. Maybe man-made features, like fences, walls, ditches. Animals create their own paths which are discernible from above. Just lots of variety in general. The higher the resolution the more of these 'small' things are needed for realism's sake.

That village is looking really nice I must say. Good stuff!

Dune

Thanks guys. Maybe some warped voronoi will give me the lines (paths) and uneaten areas... experiment...

archonforest

Man I truly enjoy your ART and how it develops. Another great stuff ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Not possible to publish here in full, but I can do this. Final, reduced from 5x3k (and horrified).