Terragen 3 Loading behaviour

Started by PeterParker, December 07, 2013, 10:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterParker

Hello to all here at this Forum,

i´ve detected a strange deportment when loading a scene. It takes 45 seconds to load!
Also the Hard Drive starts to get very active. The GUI also disapears for 45 seconds and then pops up.

Anyone has this same issue?

Peter

bobbystahr

Hmmmm..I as well have loading issues. When I load anything, .tgo, .obj or a previous .tgd, TG3 hangs until I click on the title bar and/or in one of the panes...and has since I first installed it. I've been thinking maybe it's time for a fresh install of Win 7...is yours an older install...? may be your problem as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

masonspappy

Where are you storing your files?  I have TG3 installed on the C: drive but all my files are on an external drive connected to a USB port (for good  reasons I won't go into here) and loading them is slower than if I stored everything on my C: drive.

Oshyan

Does this happen with *any* (every) scene you load, or just particular ones? Are there any large objects, terrains, or textures in what you're trying to load? Does TG3 start quickly with the default scene?

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

For me it's all scenes and models and TG2 has also started exhibiting slow loading so for me it's fresh install time I think.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

I've got TG on C and my stuff on H, so heavy tgd's take some time to load. Sometimes hanging with the GUI already open, sometimes in the splashscreen. And occasionally so long that I think it has crashed, but just need a little more patience. Perhaps a loading bar would be a good addition, or a percentage, or just something moving, so you know it's not frozen.

PeterParker

It´s a fresh installation and on drive E is less data then on drive C.

This happens with every Terragen 3 format and Terragen 2.5.5 Format. Windows 7 runs fine for me. Other programs dont have that loading issue.
Dont know what this is.  :(
This issue i dont have with Terragen 2.5.5

PeterParker

Ok, i´ve fixed it! Have deinstalled both Terragen Versions 2 and 3.
I think both programs dont like each other in the registry? ;)
So i put Terragen 3 in another File Folder and then it worked fine for me.

Terragen 2 has tons of registry entries :-/ Had to delete this manualy.

But thanks to all for your quick response this shows me again that the support from Planetside and the Forum is awesome! :)

Oshyan

Glad to hear you resolved it. We do generally recommend uninstalling Terragen 2 before installing Terragen 3, although they can technically co-exist, as long as you accept the default install directory which should be different than Terragen 2.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

So do you think Oshyan, that if I uninstalled both versions and installed TG2 in a different place they'd both run better? Be easier than trying a fresh install of Win7.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

If you ever installed TG3 in the *same directory* as TG2, that was definitely not the right approach. But the defaults are to install *to different directories*. So it already tries to accomplish what you're suggesting, in other words if you accepted the path defaults on the install to begin with, then redoing it won't help. The problem is there are other things besides install path, for example file associations, and environment variables, which can cause problems with multiple installs. We really recommend only have 1 version installed at a time.

If you really want to run multiple versions the best way is to *copy the entire directory contents* of one install (Terragen 2, for example) to a new folder, then *uninstall* the old version, and finally install the new version. The new one (TG3) becomes the default and has file system associations, while you can run the old one just from the copy of the folder, and it should not then have any file system or environment variable associations.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Thanks man, but from the signs I think it's time for a reinstall of Win7 and an update in general to all sundry drivers....maybe a new video card as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

ejgodwin

Yes, I've experienced the same loading problems. Uninstalled TG2, cleaned the registry, still no luck. I plan to do a Win7 OS reinstall on an SSD soon and see if that helps. (I've been getting weird USB-related problems, too, which adds to the incentive.)

Oshyan

Are you guys feeling like there's a bug here? We definitely want to look into it if it's something that could be messed up in TG, but so far I'm not really seeing a pattern or anything that could explain this. And certainly it's not something we've been able to reproduce thus far.=

- Oshyan

yossam

The only issues that I have:

1. When opening a previously saved .tgd it takes a while to load. (30-45 seconds)
2. When loading a population or object for the first time (30-45 seconds). All loads after the first one are very quick.
3. When saving a .tgd for the first time (again 30-45 seconds). All saves after the first are also very quick. If you try to do anything b4 it actually saves the program will crash.

All data is on the same drive.