Aborting Populator Crashes TG3

Started by PabloMack, December 24, 2013, 10:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

I found that aborting a populator that starts as a consequence of rendering consistently crashes TG3. It pretty much happens every time. I have to let the populator finished first, then I can safely stop the render.

Dune

I had that too. Turn off textured preview might help.

TheBadger

Ahh yes, I learned to populate before rendering. I have had crashes from populating by hitting the render button even without trying to abort.

Dont know about your situation, but on my end it seems to be memory based problem of some kind.
It has been eaten.

jo

I'll check that out, thanks.

Regards,

Jo

sirio

Hi ,

My TG3 Pro edition has the same problem. To me it appears that objects handling, in general, causes TG3 to be unstable.
With over 30 objects in the library even the library window doesn't scroll correctly (running on macbook pro).

best regards
Sirio

TheBadger

Hi, yes^^. I think so too.
Although a crash is not always what happens. Sometimes, probably more often the software holds on, but something happens that I don't know the word for. I did catch a screen capture of the event though and posted it here below.

This event happens to me more often than a complete crash. And strangly, I just discoverd a "sort of" fix.
When the event occurs, I found that by initiating the screen saver, and letting the screen saver run for a min or 2, Terragen can stabilize.
Handdy if you just started a render.

As you will see in the image, the more common event requiring a complete system restart, the screen goes bonkers and everything slows system wide. I am still on TG2. But the problem was much worse prior to my most recent update version.

Hope this helps some.
It has been eaten.

alessandro

I can confirm that happens for me too.
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

jo

Hi everyone,

The crash when aborting population as rendering begins is fixed for the next release.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

Great, Jo. The more complex TG gets, the more difficult it will be to fix stuff, I guess. I'm still awed by your software, every day!

PabloMack

Quote from: jo on January 03, 2014, 04:33:33 AMThe crash when aborting population as rendering begins is fixed for the next release.

Great. Thanks for the fast turn around.

TheBadger

Hi, Jo. Not sure if this goes here or my thread about the graphics. I know you said this is fixed, but...

When I simply change the size of a simple shape, (where there are two simple shapes forming an inner and outer, and where the two are used to mask a fake rocks population), Terragen crashes 2-3 out of 5 times.

I think it belongs in this thread because of the relationship with the populations. And again, I know you said this is fixed. (thats good!)
But I can't get much done right now. And in combination with that other thread report (which may be related or not). I would just like to humbly ask if this fix needs to wait for the other stuff you guys are working on before publishing the update?

I mean, I am really having a hard time getting anything done. NO PRESSURE! YOu know far better than me whats best for all TG (by  many orders of magnitude!). But perhaps bug fixes could be released before feature and other improvements? THat is unless they are somehow tied together.

Again I defer to you matt and oshyan on all this without much question. Im just getting a little frustrated with my/this, specific problem. None of my other requests/issues/reports/, prevent me from working. But this one is. Really is, (in relation to the other thread). The two together are just killing me over here

I guess I lied above when I said no pressure. Maybe I mean to pressure a bit. But just a tiny tiny bit!

Thanks for reading.

:)
It has been eaten.

jo

Hi Michael,

Your problem sounds like it's completely unrelated to the one in this thread. This thread is about crashes when you abort a population when a render is starting. That is the problem which is fixed. Yours is something different.

If you're getting crashes which are repeatable then the very best thing to do is to either post here or post to support@planetside.co.uk. Attach a project file showing the problem and steps to reproduce the problem. We like repeatable problems a lot because it usually means we can understand and fix the problem much more quickly.

You can send me a project file at jomeder@planetside.co.uk if you like. I will look into it and try to get it fixed for the next release.

Regards,

Jo

Oshyan

I should also mention that we do release smaller updates with few or no new features, particularly when there are urgent issues that have been resolved. In this case, although there are several bugs that have been fixed internally, none of them are very urgent (as far as I can recall). There are crash bugs, but they are easily avoidable (like the one that started this thread). If there was an important fix that affected key functionality, if there was a frequent and unavoidable crash or a problem with a fundamental feature, we would release an intermediate update.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Thanks guys. Sorry for putting it in the wrong thread. I thought it was related because it happens when I populate, or change a setting that has something to do with the population. But thats not all.

I will pack up a file to send you tonight. I will reproduce the crash several times and take notes so I can write you a detailed description of what I was doing.

OR if it would be easier for you (it propbably would for me) I can try to use this screen recorder thing and just send you a short video of what Im doing as it happens with the .tgd... I could have the activity monitor on the screen too, if that would help at all?
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

I'm curious why you'd think this would be a population problem and not a Simple Shape problem. Just because the Simple Shape is linked to a population doesn't mean that suddenly any problems that happen are due to the population. I think with time this stuff can become intuitive, but for now you seem to assume a lot more "inherited properties" and linkage than actually exists.

A change in a node that causes a result is very often *to do with that node* (i.e. the crash is likely to be related to the Simple Shape since it's a setting in that node that you're changing). Unless there is some automatic down-stream process that happens as a result of an up-stream (in the network) action, in which case sometimes the node that owns the setting you're changing may not be *directly* responsible for the issue. In the case of a Population, I don't think it actually does anything with incoming data until you Populate/Repopulate. So *unless* your crash is happening after first changing the Simple Shape and *then* repopulating, then as I said it's likely to be an issue in the Simple Shape. This just reinforces the importance of describing exactly and specifically what steps you're following to get a crash, not leaving anything out, and not going on assumptions about what might be happening.

Now, after all that, it'll probably turn out to be a populator issue just to spite me. ;) You *are* doing some rather unusual things with both the Simple Shape and the Populator, so it really could be either. I just notice a tendency you've had lately to jump to conclusions that don't follow logically to my mind and I'm hoping to help point you in the right direction. :)

- Oshyan