zBrush 3

Started by rcallicotte, June 27, 2007, 03:19:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Is it safe to assume there will be no zBrush 3 demo any time soon?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

pretty safe bet, but I have it and can answer some of the questions you may have. Though I know there is a mudbox demo.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Two questions -

1.  Is zBrush 3's interface easy?
2.  Is zBrush used mostly for creating characters or does it lend itself to creating architecture and vehicles just as well?



Quote from: Will on June 27, 2007, 03:23:14 pm
pretty safe bet, but I have it and can answer some of the questions you may have. Though I know there is a mudbox demo.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

1. Its interface can have a steep learning curve for most, its powerful and customizable but it takes a lot of practice and patience to pick up. Mudbox has a better interface (though I don't like it that much)
2. You can make vehicles and architecture-but it will be pretty difficult, a new user such as yourself might find it pretty frustrating.

I would recommend trying to find a demo of Zbrush 2 and try that out, it interface is nearly exactly the same thing.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Thanks Will!  This is very helpful.   ;D

Quote from: Will on June 27, 2007, 03:41:24 pm
1. Its interface can have a steep learning curve for most, its powerful and customizable but it takes a lot of practice and patience to pick up. Mudbox has a better interface (though I don't like it that much)
2. You can make vehicles and architecture-but it will be pretty difficult, a new user such as yourself might find it pretty frustrating.

I would recommend trying to find a demo of Zbrush 2 and try that out, it interface is nearly exactly the same thing.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

No problem, If you get any ore feel free to ask :)
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Moose

Not that it's any consolation for not being able to try a demo version first hand, but have you seen martin Krol's timelapse video yet - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=045693 - it might shed some light and give you a flavour of Z3.

I also see that a user is selling (legitimately) their copy of Z3 for a discounted price on ebay... assuming you're thinking of buying sometime soon - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=47851

:)

Will

To expand a little, I read a article in one of the latest issues of 3dworld about doing architecture and it came with two pillars that you can merge together this is the result.

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

efflux

ZBrush 3 is absolutely awesome in my opinion. I remember trying ZBrush ages ago but never got around it because I didn't use any type of modeling apps that much before hand. The ZBrush UI is not so straightforward. The UI in ZBrush 3 seems quite logical to me but many people complain. However the sculpting is simply stunning. Even the realtime preview is amazing. Massive poly counts. I love the Z Spheres and you can retopoligize meshes - if that's a new feature. I have a feeling this will become my favorite app soon. I never Tried Mudbox so can't compare.

Will

Quote from: Moose on June 27, 2007, 04:14:15 pm
I also see that a user is selling (legitimately) their copy of Z3 for a discounted price on ebay... assuming you're thinking of buying sometime soon - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=47851


Not sure if that will give you the free upgrade though.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

...this is zBrush?

Quote from: Will on June 27, 2007, 04:38:38 pm
To expand a little, I read a article in one of the latest issues of 3dworld about doing architecture and it came with two pillars that you can merge together this is the result.


So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Wow.  Thank you all very much.  I'm much more interested in an application to model non-human objects, though zBrush is tugging at me.  Nevertheless, I think zBrush is more for creating creatures, human or otherwise.  If someone believes I'm wrong about that, let me know.  I'm looking at a few other programs, too - Modo, Hexagon 2.2 (I got it for free at DAZ), Mudbox, XSI...and anything that seems to fit in this crowd.   :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

JohnnyBoy

Calico, I would spend your money on a traditional modeling app before buying ZBrush/Mudbox. I did it the other way because ZBrush was "tugging at me" and regretted it until I bought XSI a month later. Really, ZBrush is great at adding high-poly details to a base-mesh created in another program. If you can't create a model in another app you are stuck with Zspheres in ZBrush and they are best for creating organic shapes. Later.

Will

JohnnyBoy has a very good point, XSI has a good UI and it might be a good match, blender is free, and there is bunch of stuff over at DAZ which you have already found.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

efflux

I agree that jumping into ZBrush is not such a good option if you want to create various types of models. If you really know that you want to create organic stuff then ZBrush is superb but I agree with the others in that your much better off learning a few things in other modeling apps. Wings 3D is free. In my opinion this is the app to start in. It's free and is quite powerful. In might not be too much fun to begin with but if you learn that app you're set to go. It's cool to use with Blender which is also free. Then if you want to go in that direction you can buy a better modeling app or go to ZBrush. ZBrush makes more sense to me now that I've tinkered with other apps. I can see why ZBrush is so brilliant. The tools in ZBrush are set up to be like sculpting which means that doing other things could be hell. If you want to build something more technical then you want lots of precision tools. I'm no expert on ZBrush though. I just tested it out a few days ago. I will be buying ZBrush.

The main ZBrush app is actually a demo as well but activated. It's the same version. It's totally stupid for Pixologic to sell software with no demo. Do they expect people to buy this software without testing it? I say no more.