Forum names

Started by yossam, February 07, 2014, 01:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Quote from: Hannes on February 13, 2014, 07:02:58 AM
German has its roots in the old germanian languages. There may be some latin influences, as well as french ones and a lot of english words during the last decades.
There are also a lot of similarities with english depending on the area. For example my grandma came from Northern Germany (near Bremen). When she was talking to her sister in their (heavy) dialect, I didn't understand a word at that time, but I remember they had some very english sounding words. They said "mother" for example instead of the german "Mutter" and they didn't say "er", but the english "he" but pronounced it like "hay".

This is because English is not a real language.  It is more of an amalgamation of many different languages which draws from Norman, Saxon, Celtic, Gaelic, Welsh, Cornish, Pictish, and latin influences (as well as a few others).  And there were three main variations in England as little as just a few hundred years ago, with the London variant the one that is commonly spoken today.

That said, my own forum name is derived off of the domain name I had chosen for my website.  I later made it the name of my company, as well.

PabloMack

English (and "Anglo") comes from "Angle" as in the tribe that came from Germany. They spoke a low form of German which, very interestingly, is an offshoot from the Hittites of the Old Testament. I have learned that there are much stronger historic ties between Turks and Germans than I was formerly aware of. That is presumably one reason why the Turks joined the side of the Germans during WWI. I would love to visit the Hittite museum in Ankara. The Hitite written language is a form of cuneiform where wedges were pressed into clay to make their characters. Most of the ancient Hittite manuscripts are records of business transactions and, apparently, very little of the philosophical writings we have from the Greeks. But the Hittites actually practiced a form of democracy a thousand years before the Greeks (to their shagrin!).

PabloMack

Quote from: TheBadger on February 11, 2014, 10:28:08 AMPablo, where do the Badgers live?  ;D

My wife and I just had dinner with my cousin and her husband. They live six months out of the year in Dallas and the other six months in Wisconsin. George is of Italian heritage and he tells me about an area that is predominantly Italian. He said the two of them live about 80 miles from Madison. We talked about "the Badgers". Carol said one time she was in a group of Wisconsiners and they were talking about "Bucky". She thought they were talking about "Bucee Beaver" and they immediately knew she was "not from around here". Buc-ee's is a chain of travel stores where you can stop along a highway and get drinks, snacks and souvenirs. Looks like they are only in Texas. It seems strange to me to have ethnic Italian areas and Polish areas and German areas. In Texas, you have predominantly white areas and hispanic areas and black areas. If you are caucasion you live with other caucasians and it doesn't seem to matter what your European country of origin was. Here you are just labelled "white" and we are all mixed together.

http://www.buc-ees.com

Lady of the Lake

Mine is pretty blah compared to some of you.  I lived at the Lake of the Ozarks, Mo. when we got our first computer.  First forum I joined and they asked for a screen name "Lady of the Lake" just popped into my head.  Several years later we moved to Texas so I considered changing my name.  But as luck would have it, we got a house directly across from the swimming pool so I figured that surely counted as a small lake.  (no boats allowed!)   ;)

N-drju

My forum name is a Polish sound cognate of an English counterpart of my first name. If you read my nick just as it is written using Polish phonemes you'll just get "Andrew". Simple as that. My actual name is "Andrzej" though.

You should be relieved there are none of our famous (notorious one might say) diacritic signs in my name. ;D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

TheBadger

Quote from: Lady of the Lake on March 10, 2014, 11:38:46 PM
Mine is pretty blah compared to some of you.  I lived at the Lake of the Ozarks, Mo. when we got our first computer.  First forum I joined and they asked for a screen name "Lady of the Lake" just popped into my head.  Several years later we moved to Texas so I considered changing my name.  But as luck would have it, we got a house directly across from the swimming pool so I figured that surely counted as a small lake.  (no boats allowed!)   ;)

Hmmm. I was guessing it had to do with Arthurian legend. ;)
It has been eaten.

archonforest

Archon is coming from an elf necromancer. His name is Alyr Archon and he is my favorite character in a book. So I took Archon from him. As I did not wanted to use the same name I put Forest at the end as I love nature and forests...etc. 
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Lady of the Lake

Quote from: TheBadger on March 11, 2014, 04:26:52 AM
Hmmm. I was guessing it had to do with Arthurian legend. ;)

If you mean the part about having magical powers and not aging.  Yea, that's me.  :P

Zairyn Arsyn

ive always used a Z in my usernames, for the last ten+ years.

lain is a alternate spelling of my real name

three nine or 999 is a reference to the anime film Galaxy Express 999 by Leiji Matsumoto"
the 999 is pronounced three nine, rather than nine-nine-nine.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/