View Window Functionality

Started by gregtee, March 05, 2014, 01:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregtee

Since I've been spending a little more time in Terragen than I have in a while, I've been thinking about how many times I've been scrolling around the node script layout window pulling outputs of various nodes down the Planet so I can see what's happening in that part of the script.  To me it's a less than ideal way of doing things.   One of things I really like about TG is how it's interface and workflow closely mimics Nuke, a program I use at work practically everyday, and one of things that's great about Nuke's workflow is how it's viewer window works.  It's order of operation is such that the user can either drag the viewer input arrow TO the node you want to see, (as opposed to TG which is the opposite approach) or you can select the node you want and hit any number key and it'll connect the viewer to that node immediately.   

This is really beneficial when working with large scripts, as it negates the need to constantly have to drag the Nuke viewer window node along with you in the script.  Just select whatever operator you want, hit 1, and bam!  You're looking at the output of that node.  In Terragen I find myself constantly having to select the node I want to see the output on by clicking directly on the output nodule and then dragging that connection line all the way down to the planet, which on a large script can be quite a distance.  To get around this to a degree I sometimes make a Null node that's connected directly to the planet and just move it into the area I'm working on to minimize the travel time to the planet.  Works in a pinch but it's not ideal. 

Is there a way to more easily attach the planet to whatever node you're working on without having to drag the input line all the way to said planet?
Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

Dune

Yes, rightclick the input and choose the node to attach. I have a habit of putting an A in front of names of nodes I have to link more than often. Especially with hundreds of nodes, the vertical row of nodes is too long to fit in the screen, so you have to tediously scroll down.

Which, by the way staff, could be improved by making more than one row as soon as screenlimit is reached.

gregtee

Ok, that works but it still requires that I navigate down to the planet and right click the input and then scroll to the node I want to view.  I guess that's about the only way other than dragging the output of a node down to the planet?   Ideally I'd still like to be able to select the node I want to view and hit a hotkey that automatically connects the planet to that node.  One can dream!

-greg

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

mash

Might as well add multiple input nodes to the viewer like Nuke also.
That way you could hit 1 for terrain, 2 for masks, 3 for shaders or what ever you connected to the viewer in whatever order. That way you don't have to spend time reconnecting nodes to the viewer if you want to look at something.

gregtee

That would be great too.  Things like these seem like simple additions but go a long way towards making the workflow faster, though I'm not the developer so I could be talking out my backside.  ;)

jo

Hi guys,

This is good feedback, thanks. I think there is a lot which can be done to make the network view easier to use. I don't quite understand how Nuke is doing things but Matt might have a better idea. I'll check it out anyway.

Just a note on the menus. For locating a node from a long menu you can use type selection, in other words mouse over the menu and then start typing the name of the node you want.

It would be difficult to show the menus in multiple columns, but I agree there could be an easier way to allow selection of nodes when there are a lot of them in a project.

Regards,

Jo

mhaze

Thinking about "1 for terrain, 2 for masks, 3 for shaders"   It would be great to have the option to assign a colour to nodes in the same way one can with groups.

mogn

It wouldbe nice if duplicate node names only was renamed if needed. And a nicer renaming as promised several years ago.

Oshyan

Nodes are colored by type of node, so manual coloring would remove the value of that and likely won't be implemented. Node highlighting and outline are both used for other functions too.

Nicer node renaming would definitely be good. So many little things to take care of. :D

- Oshyan