A Talus

Started by Tangled-Universe, June 16, 2014, 01:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Have been playing a bit with World-Machine (WM) and finding methods to have more control over stone shaders appearance and reliability to reproduce them in other scenes.
Also I'm testing a way to get a decent Granite look to the rock surfaces.

The slide of rocks is made with WM's erosion device and the stones are restricted to that slide using the "Flow Map" from WM's erosion device.
It's all pretty straight forward.

Vegetation is from Silva3D

Cheers,
Martin

Antoine

Indeed this is very effective, very realistic. Did you make the cliff shape entirely in WM or did you use also Terragen nodes for more refining?

archonforest

whatever man...seeing your render... i give up on TG...shredding all my renders...uninstall TG3... and jump out of the window...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

The only thing i would try to change would be as others said in Facebook too the kinda blurry look of the rock surface.
Other then that it looks great Martin.

TheBadger

Pretty amazing. The slide part looks like a photo. About the wall on the left; I like it, but agree about the blur. Think it just needs some more displacements to break up some of the softness maybe.
It has been eaten.

zaxxon

Always a pleasure to see what you do with WM and TG. The talus slide is very well done, very believable.

choronr

It is good to see talus applied as you've done here. Excellent.

Luc

Hi

very nice use of WM here - do you plan to include it in picture with a wider angle ? 

luc
Terragen scenes & presets store
www.lucbianco.fr
Unreal Authorized Instructor

mhaze

The blurry look I assume is created by the combination of the lichen like texture and the grass and I like it. Perhaps a larger image would give more clarity.  Granite is a varied material ranging from the grey,eroded almost sandstone like outcrops of Dartmoor to the pink sharp edged, shattered rocks of the Alps. You will need to research it and decide on a type and work with it.  My first thought is that it needs some horizontal breaks. Otherwise a great image but maybe it needs something to give it some narrative, a fish jumping, an old boat, a stunted tree growing on the cliff?

Dune

Nice one, Martin. Good to see you're still doing some TG work. I'm not to keen on the blurry water either, but the rock talus looks great. How about trying this with just TG  ;)

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys :)

I'll reply below using quotes...

Quote from: Antoine on June 16, 2014, 02:14:00 PM
Indeed this is very effective, very realistic. Did you make the cliff shape entirely in WM or did you use also Terragen nodes for more refining?

The cliff shape and land slide shape are from WM.

I applied some displacements in TG, but nothing too drastic. This time :)

Quote from: archonforest on June 16, 2014, 02:14:21 PM
whatever man...seeing your render... i give up on TG...shredding all my renders...uninstall TG3... and jump out of the window...

Haha you're crazy :)
No need to worry. You should feel sorry for me instead as I spend too much time with this ;) lol

Stay tuned on the TG scene...you might see more of this than you wished for ;)

Quote from: Kadri on June 16, 2014, 02:26:19 PM
The only thing i would try to change would be as others said in Facebook too the kinda blurry look of the rock surface.
Other then that it looks great Martin.
Quote from: TheBadger on June 16, 2014, 06:11:08 PM
Pretty amazing. The slide part looks like a photo. About the wall on the left; I like it, but agree about the blur. Think it just needs some more displacements to break up some of the softness maybe.

Thanks guys, I do agree with you about the blurry shading.
The blurry textures are being updated now.

I'm rendering this using insane settings of detail 2 and AA16. Just out of interest following the discussion in Mick's Fjord(Sound) renders on reducing noise in powerfractal shading.
May be detail 2 in combination with AA16 actually causes the blur ;) I don't know! :)

Quote from: Luc Bianco on June 17, 2014, 02:44:02 AM
Hi

very nice use of WM here - do you plan to include it in picture with a wider angle ? 

luc

Thanks Luc :)

Yes that might be a good idea, actually!

Quote from: mhaze on June 17, 2014, 04:18:48 AM
The blurry look I assume is created by the combination of the lichen like texture and the grass and I like it. Perhaps a larger image would give more clarity.  Granite is a varied material ranging from the grey,eroded almost sandstone like outcrops of Dartmoor to the pink sharp edged, shattered rocks of the Alps. You will need to research it and decide on a type and work with it.  My first thought is that it needs some horizontal breaks. Otherwise a great image but maybe it needs something to give it some narrative, a fish jumping, an old boat, a stunted tree growing on the cliff?

Hi Mick,
I wasn't going for any specific type of Granite. I'm actually quite lazy in that regard. I just try to make something which has the feel and look of granite and not really exact. I have a piece of unpolished granite here at home, normally used for tombstones and this looks a bit like it. Not exactly, admittedly.

Lack of something narrative has always been my weak point.
TG is my strong point and TG's weak point is decent rendering of non-organic objects which can support narrative elements.
I'm not going to include cars, boats etc. which just look crappy in TG.
In turn it's my weakness I can't make anything outside of TG yet to make it work eventually.

Quote from: Dune on June 17, 2014, 05:54:46 AM
Nice one, Martin. Good to see you're still doing some TG work. I'm not to keen on the blurry water either, but the rock talus looks great. How about trying this with just TG  ;)

Hi Ulco,
I guess you're first about the water ;) I reduced the softness nonetheless, by ~30%.

Update coming soon and that will be final image!

Thanks all :)

Martin

mhaze

Know what you mean, when it comes to objects tg is not very good lack of decent displacement is the main issue for me.  Having said that there's some decent vegetation models out there.

kalwalt

Very powerful combination of WorldMachine and Terragen and very amazing work! It inspire me a lot! :)
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Hannes

That looks indeed great! Agree about the blur. I'm really looking forward to see the next iteration.

inkydigit

Awesome realisation! Martin!
Really impressed with how this turned out, looking forward to seeing this evolve!
:)
Cheers
Jason