cliff and lighthouse

Started by kalwalt, June 27, 2014, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalwalt

I want to share this new project that i'm working on: not sure where i will go with it but i 'd lake to do a seascape. The terrain was modeled in World machine, i created the heightmap and the beach and the water alpha map ( there are many things to say about this...), i used the beach alpha map to create the coast transition but it doesn't works as expected. I quite like the shader for the terrain, i think i have to work a lot on the sky (cloud layer) and on the sea. I want also add some vegetations but not too much. My idea was to construct a picture with a lighthouse ( not yet in the picture...) that spread his light in the fog in the sunset. So this is a test. I like the wide format of the picture, i think it is appropriate. The qaulity of the picture is very draft i used low anti alias and detail settings. Well, we'll see what we can do with it! ;)
[attach=1]
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

choronr

Nice start. The clouds appear to give the water a graininess. You might consider increasing the size of the wind patches for the water.

Upon Infinity

The landscape is interesting, although I would work a bit on your shaders.  The base colours are good, but you could definitely mix in some variation with the greens and browns.

kalwalt

Quote from: choronr on June 27, 2014, 02:57:31 PM
Nice start. The clouds appear to give the water a graininess. You might consider increasing the size of the wind patches for the water.
yes, @choronr. i did a fast rendering, doesn't like this clouds too much and they give a strange result on the water, i will increase the wind patches as you suggest, and maybe i will add foam ( i found some posts in the forum for this).

Quote from: Upon Infinity on June 27, 2014, 02:58:04 PM
The landscape is interesting, although I would work a bit on your shaders.  The base colours are good, but you could definitely mix in some variation with the greens and browns.

I also added a different shader on the 'beach' zone in the transitional zone of the coast, i did the map in WM as i say but not sure if is corrected applyed. I want add also different shader for the water zone ( the part of the terrain covered by the sea ) does this make sense? does this make some difference on the appearence of the sea?
Maybe it's better if i do a rendering without clouds, and you could give me your opinion. Regarding the shader, i agree with you, also the rock need a better look.

Anyway thanks for your comments! :)
Walter

WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Dune

Changing the shaders under water level will only be visible if the water is transparent enough. Just experiment with it, with flat water at first.

kalwalt

Quote from: Dune on June 28, 2014, 03:13:58 AM
Changing the shaders under water level will only be visible if the water is transparent enough. Just experiment with it, with flat water at first.
I will consider this. Thank you! :)
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

kalwalt

i have experimented a bit on the sea and with the water shader but even without the sea the landscape does not seem bad, although there is still some work to do ... :)
p.s in this rendering i used the 640x480 pixel format...

please vote: with or without the sea? ??? ::)

WorldMachine
3Dcoat

choronr

In this case, I think the focus should include the sea. Then, you need to develop a point of interest (lighthouse, boat). With respect to the terrain, you need some terrain color variability including some populations of bushes and trees.

kalwalt

i worked a bit on the sea and added a cloud layer above the sea. I would simulate the beam of the light that crossing the air, but i get this sparkling effect, i think i need to work on GI but not sure what i have to change, i increased th valuse a bit but maybe not enough? i used a spotlight for the beam of the lighthouse.

GI cache detail 2.5125
GI sample detail 2.4
GI blur radius 8.93125

Anti alias 6
detail 0.665
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

masonspappy

I like what you're doing but wonder if the lighthouse should loom a bit larger on the screen?

choronr

Looks like maybe the light needs more samples - even casting some light on the fog/clouds.

Dune

Try turning off glow in atmosphere, and raise samples indeed. It's quite hard to get rid of all grain, I warn you.

kalwalt

Quote from: masonspappy on June 30, 2014, 07:52:07 PM
I like what you're doing but wonder if the lighthouse should loom a bit larger on the screen?
This is an option @masonspappy, i will try it. In fact the lightouse is not so visible...

Quote from: choronr on June 30, 2014, 10:04:34 PM
Looks like maybe the light needs more samples - even casting some light on the fog/clouds.
Quote from: Dune on July 01, 2014, 02:30:20 AM
Try turning off glow in atmosphere, and raise samples indeed. It's quite hard to get rid of all grain, I warn you.
Thank's for the tips. I'm considering if i can't or the result is not as expected to add a simple pointlight and adding, as posteffect in gi
mp or other software, the beam of the light.

WorldMachine
3Dcoat

kalwalt

i abandoned the idea of the beam rendered in TG3, very difficult to eliminate the grains in the image, so instead of a spotlight i added a point light in th top position of the lighthouse, just to give the idea that the lighthouse is turned on. I will consider if adding a beam as post-effect may have sense in the picture.  the picture is only a particular focused on the lighthouse. I reduced the noise octaves in the cloud fractal shader but i think they looks better before...
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

kalwalt

This is a low rendering with less clouds, and maybe better than before.
WorldMachine
3Dcoat