Roman ship

Started by Dune, August 20, 2014, 04:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks Hannes. I work in LW 9, and I don't think such noise modifiers are possible. I made the sail by taking the points in the center (not the edges) and indeed with a soft translate, pulled it out to a rough ballooned sail. But with the cloth simulation I could take some points where the sail is attached to rings and ropes and have it pull more in one way, so stretching occurred between those points. And it only takes a minute or so.

Mahnmut

Nice boat.
About the sail:
In my experience, when the wind is good, there isnĀ“t much flapping  and folding of sails. On the other hand, a realistically tense sail might look less realistic.
Cheers, Jan

masonspappy

Looking better and better....

Dune

You're right, Jan, but I'm not experienced enough to easily make a realistically flapping sail (yet). I can do it by hand, but best would be to let simulated physics do their work.

Last for now.

cyphyr

Love the lighting :)
I'm pretty sure LW9 has a cloth sim. If I remember rightly it was a bit of a headache to get it to work but once understood the results were definitely useable.
Check out this, it's a start and I'm sure you can figure out the rest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxM5W4edGXA
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

TheBadger

looking good. The figures read as a little bit cartoony though, but what can you do?
It has been eaten.

Dune

Thanks Richard, I saw that video once, but 'dirpied it' now to have a better look later.

Hannes

A few years ago I did this test animation by just animating a PF power fractal as displacement for the sails. Of course I had to uncheck RT objects.
http://vimeo.com/13200441
Since we have the new mesh displacing feature for objects this should be possible without unchecking RT objects as long as the sails are separate objects. Of course the whole sail is going to be displaced, but it shouldn't be too noticeable.

Dune

Yeah, I remember your animation, that was really cool. Well, I must thank you again, Richard, for the link; works like a dream. I have put 3 sails in the object, so with opacity tab I can choose which to use. I have to check the mesh displacement, perhaps it can be masked for the central part (though I doubt that). On the other hand, I do mostly stills, so it's good enough to choose an appropriate sail. The bubbly one isn't too good, but ok.

choronr

Re. test 19 is looking good with the lighting setup. The ship and water stand out nicely against the darker surroundings.

bobbystahr

Quote from: choronr on August 23, 2014, 02:03:34 PM
Re. test 19 is looking good with the lighting setup. The ship and water stand out nicely against the darker surroundings.

And good work on the wake including the rudder lifted a bit...that works way better.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Not a ship, but a new tower and soldier I just made...

Kadri

Sweet. I like the lighting in the tower Ulco.

Hannes

zaxxon

Very nice, illustrative with a story lurking in the twilight shadows. The subtleties of the sky and bird really sets a mood, and the foliage is par excellence (as usual). One slight distraction though (at least for me) is the light in the tower. While I appreciate the technical display, the 'story' is somewhat spoiled; unlikely that a watchtower would be so revealed, and the interior light would limit the sentry's view into the darkening terrain. But that's a very small point in an image this finely wrought.