Quite new Terragen user..

Started by Valentina, August 24, 2014, 12:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valentina

Hi, at first I hope this is the right forum, if not, I'm sorry. I can say I am new with Terragen cause i played with its classic version several years ago and Terragen 3 is really different, and more difficult, and, I have to say, one of the software with less documentation that I've ever met! This doesn't help  ???
I'm in this forum because it's a great resource.. I'm not new with 3D software but this is very different.. I thought it was the right thing to do to say hello before starting looking in all these threads. I've already started doing some stuff with Terragen but not always knowing what I was doing, your threads are often difficult to follow but I'll try..
If you have any kind of suggestion, you are very welcome.
Please do forgive me for my English, since I'm not English..

Bye:)

bigben

Welcome Valentina

I found the transition to the node network difficult at first and it takes some getting used to. Maybe start with some tutorials: http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Terragen_2/3_Tutorials#Beginner_Tutorials. If you have questions I'd jump in at the Terragen Discussion rather than Open Discussion and don't worry about asking very basic questions. There are plenty of people lurking who probably wanted to ask the same question  ;)

otakar

Welcome! I have been scratching my head ever since TG2 came out why it seems to pose such a hurdle for people transitioning from TG.9.  It's probably because people expect to create comparable renders (nice terrain, surfacing, water, clouds) very quickly after having mastered TG.9 and get frustrated because they get stuck. My advice is to try to start with simple scenes, maybe just try to get the hang of sculpting terrains (in general) first before moving on and to check out the tutorials that have been posted. The forums certainly are a great resource and almost a necessity in the absence of a manual and official tutorials. I agree that some thread discussions are way too advanced for beginners, though. You just need a way to filter that out :) The good thing is if you get stuck and just post in the general section you will most likely not a get a terse response to use the search function to look for you answer, but you may actually get a solution or some links to point you to the right direction - or both. There is a wide circle of users here, from beginners trying to find their bearings with TG as their first rendering application they have tried to professionals with years of experience in various tools. I think that's fantastic.

TheBadger

Quoteyour threads are often difficult to follow but I'll try
Well just so you know, that has nothing to do with your english. Its hard for everyone  ;)  ;D

Welcome from me too.
It has been eaten.

matrix2003

Welcome as well!  ;D

There is a learning curve from Classic to T3, but once you get the nodes, it gets a lot easier to grasp. Play with terrains, water and atmos, like you did in TG.9, and then worry about objects and populations later on when you are more comfortable with the whole thing. Ask any questions you want. Everyone is very supportive here.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

PabloMack

Hello Valentina. I'm not English either. I'm a Texican.

Oshyan

The node list on the left side is a lot like the surface layer list, etc. in TG Classic. You can do a lot just using the node lists and related buttons on left and top...

- Oshyan

archonforest

Welcome Valentina,
Your are at the coolest place on the net :D :D
You will see... ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Valentina

thank you everyone, you are very kind..
during last week I studied a bit of tutorials and I produced something.. maybe I'll post some render in Terragen discussion (is that the right place?) in order to have some advice..

Thank you BigBen for your link, I've found something useful. Sadly some link are not working ( like the official node reference  :'( ) but other seem very interesting..

archonforest

Renders goes under Image Sharing.  :)

Valentina

ah, ok! and I can ask questions, too? or not? often images are helpful when asking for advice.. (i mean with renders in image sharing... though call them "renders" is really a big word)

archonforest

Sure u can ask your questions there or on any other part of the forum. If u have a render done or in progress u can upload it to Image Sharing and just ask the questions. They will be answered for sure by one of us... :D

Valentina

ah ok.. sorry but I'm not new in 3d softwares, and in other forums they are very... severe and rigorous! they put you on terror to do something wrong!  :P
I will surely post an image:) thank you

yossam

Welcome to the forum..............we are a friendly bunch for the most part. Enjoy your stay.............I think you will.  :)

Oshyan

Valentina, the Node Reference is here: http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Terragen_3_Node_Reference
What link did you find that isn't working?

- Oshyan