"Last lights" short animation project (finished movie in page 17)

Started by Kadri, September 17, 2014, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

This was one of the last scenes i added.
It is 1 minute and 12 seconds long.

Terragen clouds. Same clouds with 3 different render settings to get the look.
Not quite the look i wanted but very close. I had to use some low settings for fast render times.

Exported the Terragen scene as a FBX file and used the same camera move to get the stars rendered in Lightwave.
Some for the background and some for the stars in the Nebula.

Comped all of them in Hitfilm to get the final look.

Kadri

This was the last scene i added. It is the same scene from here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15653.0.html
I had a similar scene where the camera motion was too fast when i saw the first cut.
It looked out of place. I made this one in the last minute instead.

I am actually quite proud of this one. No...not that it is good or so. It needs more work actually.
But because of the test nature of this animation i wanted to see if i could use FBX for scene and file export from Terragen to Lightwave
and use front projection of the still rendered image from Terragen and animate it in Lightwave.

I exported all the objects as FBX files and used it to render in Lightwave (But front projected with the Terragen rendered image).
The animation is subtle and i had to render the sky, water, islands and the object with the help of render layers separately.
I had to break the object to 3 parts. Animated the water in Hitfilm from the still Terragen image
and used that as front projection in Lightwave etc. 2 years ago i wouldn't even have tried all this.

I will post a link to Vimeo when ready.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

Quote from: archonforest on September 21, 2016, 11:25:09 AM
yesyesyes!! :D

LOL.

It is very short. The original is actually 10 seconds long.
Not sure why but Handbrake said 4 seconds is enough so i didn't bother much to change its mind :)

https://vimeo.com/183670432

Downloading the HD version and loop watching it locally is better.

Dune

It's a great shot. Will you be adding something that makes the size comparable? You can't really tell how big this thing is. And how about wave movement? Foam around the object where water hits it? Debris? Or am I asking too much?

DocCharly65

Quote from: Dune on September 22, 2016, 02:05:37 AM
It's a great shot. Will you be adding something that makes the size comparable? You can't really tell how big this thing is. And how about wave movement? Foam around the object where water hits it? Debris? Or am I asking too much?

I agree with some tweaks, Ulco suggested. The foam around the ship and the waves would be great.

But anyway a impressive scene.
Also impressive, how long you work on your project, too! I found some posts from 2014, I had never seen...  :)

Kadri

Ulco and Nils you both are right on all things.
I thought about to add the things you mentioned.
The original image had the para gliders to show the scale for example.
Adding them would be very easy. But in the basic story-if you could say that- isn't suited for that unfortunately.
And i could not think about other things to show the scale better (without much work).

Foam and better ground shaders was what i thought about too.
It is just that i am really tired of this project and want to finish it so fast i can now.
This project begun as a test but i tried to make it more then that in time.
But still the test nature is there. So i can live with some not so good parts.
There are certainly many things that could be done much better.
Most of the scenes i made in the last 2 years look in this or that way already flawed.
This video i saw lately on Facebook kinda says better what i mean:

But the next project i want to make won't have these kind of excuses for certain.
It will be a kinda funny(hopefully)short story that won't have the "test" tag all over it  :)

Kadri

Sound and music is finished.
Just some small touches of visuals here and there and an end credit left.
1 week or so probably.

Honestly just looking at this makes me feel good, more then 2 years :)

Oshyan

Nice, congrats! Looking forward to the final for sure.

- Oshyan

Dune

I can imagine, for a project that long, you're really thrilled to see the end coming up. Finalizing details. Can't wait to see it.

DocCharly65

Good luck, Kadri, I know that kind of feelings too  :) ;)

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Kadri

Here is the finished video guys and girls.
It is a little too serious and a little long probably but i hope you like it:
Try to watch it in HD.

Oshyan could you change the name of this thread to  "Last lights short animation project (finished movie in page 17)"  please :)