We did it!

Started by Mahnmut, November 13, 2014, 02:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

Just a quicky, because someone had to!

Cheers,
J

yossam

But where is the probe.................. ???

zaxxon

Absolutely! Nice tribute to a remarkable achievement, and well done on the object and image.

masonspappy

Dune

I had tears in my eyes (sort of) when touchdown was there, have seen the moon landing when I was a kid as well. It's an amazing project, like hitting a fly on a runner's bald head from the other end of the country by remote control, and nothing but numbers on your screen.
Nice render, mahnmut. You have the premiere.

Mahnmut

Thanks to all!

@ Yossam&Masonspappy:
Don´t you see it, its the 1187th pixel from the right, 905 down.
Must be lost in compression.^^

@ Dune:
I must say, the actual impression of the live broadcast (from P67) was kind of underwhelming, but just imagining what all the people involved for half their lives must have felt at that moment was moving for me to. Besides it´s just impressive what people can do when working together.

Cheers !
J

TheBadger

Its the first step in figuring out how to mine these otherwise worthless pieces of space junk.

Very cool render. Render time? My guess is pretty quick.
It has been eaten.

Mahnmut

Concerning worthless pieces of space junk, its the junk that lies around in the makers workshop that can tell us how he did it. (Thats a metaphor, not a religious statement)
Interestingly, in archäologyits the same, it´s the waste that tells us most about living conditions in the past. What will they think of us in the future?

Yes, rendertime was quick.
All in all about one hour from the idea to the finished render.

Kadri

I wrote a short story 30 years or so ago in that archeologists from the future investigated an old junkyard from our time.
It had one of the cliche twists at the end in that the book they found in the junkyard
was one from Isaac Asimov's foundation books and so they know everything wrong from our time.

Very old junk is good.So older so better. It is what made us all :)

choronr

Very good and representative of what we see on TV.

Too bad the batteries are dead. Perhaps the solar panels are shaded from the sun. In the journey around the sun, maybe a repositioning will yield some direct sunlight recharging the batteries?

Dune

I thought the thing was spinning and turning like crazy, so would get sun anyway, but I might be wrong.

Mahnmut

Its Rotational period is close to 12 hours.
But that won´t help much if the solar panels are covered with something, facing the wrong direktion (down) or something is broken.
Lets hope for some more luck for the little guy!

Ah, I just read that he ended up in a shady spot that only gets sunlight during 1.5 hours out of the 12 hour rotation. so there is some hope that the more intense sunlight will help later on wheen they aproach the sun.

BTW, I just saw the image on another monitor than mine and noticed for the first time an obviously spherical atmosphere, that´s not what I saw here.

Cheers,
J

ratfugel

Think of it this way. If you lobbed a washing machine from space at a hillside, what's the chances of  a) it landing the right way up, b) ever working again?  My fearless leader thinks that all that cash could have been better spent here rather than on some worthless piece of space junk. She's always right, so I never argue.

rat.

Mahnmut

Hello again Ratfugel and all you other distributers of the "space junk is to expensive" persuasion:

This is not a poplitical forum, but I´d like to mention some relations-
I know we are talking about Europe here, but numbers on the US and NASA are easier to find.
In a poll, people asked about the NASAs piece of the federal budget pie averaged somewhere around 25%.
In fact it has never been more than 5, in most years less than 2, often less than 1% of the budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

Cheers
J